Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Clarendon Clarendon is offline

Default Reducing indent space for outline headings

Hi. I am using the outline function a lot and think currently the lower
headings are indented too far into the text space and wasting the space. I
want to have less indent for the lower headings so I can have more text under
it.

1 Corpus linguistics: grammar patterns
1.1 Definition of grammar patterns -- Too much indent
Text body

1 Corpus linguistics: grammar patterns
1.1 Definition of grammar patterns -- Less indent, more text space
Text body

Is there any way to reduce the heading indents?
Somebody answered "modify the style". This is not helpful. I know I need to
modify the style, but where do you start?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

"Outline function" do you mean the Outline View and not the Outline Numbering?
Editing the style will not affect the indents you see in the Outline View.
Editing the styles will affect the indents you get in relation to the
Outline Numbering.
To affect the indents you see in the Outline View and consequently get more
space for your text, change the default tab stops setting in the Format Tab
dialog box (top right).
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Clarendon" wrote:

Hi. I am using the outline function a lot and think currently the lower
headings are indented too far into the text space and wasting the space. I
want to have less indent for the lower headings so I can have more text under
it.

1 Corpus linguistics: grammar patterns
1.1 Definition of grammar patterns -- Too much indent
Text body

1 Corpus linguistics: grammar patterns
1.1 Definition of grammar patterns -- Less indent, more text space
Text body

Is there any way to reduce the heading indents?
Somebody answered "modify the style". This is not helpful. I know I need to
modify the style, but where do you start?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, if you're using outline numbering, the indents and tabs must be
set in the Numbering dialog, not Paragraph or Tabs.

http://word.mvps.org

"Clarendon" wrote:

Hi. I am using the outline function a lot and think currently the lower
headings are indented too far into the text space and wasting the space.
want to have less indent for the lower headings so I can have more text
under
it.

1 Corpus linguistics: grammar patterns
1.1 Definition of grammar patterns -- Too much indent
Text body

1 Corpus linguistics: grammar patterns
1.1 Definition of grammar patterns -- Less indent, more text
space
Text body

Is there any way to reduce the heading indents?
Somebody answered "modify the style". This is not helpful. I know I need
modify the style, but where do you start?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To modify a style, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html, but note that
indents and tabs in outline-numbered styles must be set in the Numbering
dialog; see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

http://word.mvps.org