Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
eskimodeb69 eskimodeb69 is offline

Default Document in normal view is blank, but in print layout is ok?

I have a word document that has several text boxes, when opened in normal
view nothing appears on the page, but when viewed in print layout all items
are there, please any help will be greatly appreciated. Also I tried to
email it to a friend for help, but she can only view the document without
being able to make any changes. The document is not protected either.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Floating objects, that is, objects whose text wrapping is set to
something other than "In line with text," are never displayed in
Normal view; this is normal behavior.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"eskimodeb69" wrote in message
I have a word document that has several text boxes, when opened in

normal
view nothing appears on the page, but when viewed in print layout

all items
are there, please any help will be greatly appreciated. Also I

tried to
email it to a friend for help, but she can only view the document

without
being able to make any changes. The document is not protected

either.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy Kathy is offline

soo - if it's normal, how are we supposed to work with it? I can't edit it,
etc. I never had this issue before.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Text boxes and other objects in the drawing layer are never displayed in
Normal view.

"eskimodeb69" wrote in message
I have a word document that has several text boxes, when opened in normal
view nothing appears on the page, but when viewed in print layout all

items
are there, please any help will be greatly appreciated. Also I tried to
email it to a friend for help, but she can only view the document without
being able to make any changes. The document is not protected either.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Back in the day, normal view was devised to allow users to work without slow
downs caused by resource hog features such as dynamic pagination and display
of wrapped objects. But for the past 7 years or so, faster, larger memory
computers work just fine in page layout view.

Pam

kathy wrote:
soo - if it's normal, how are we supposed to work with it? I can't edit it,
etc. I never had this issue before.

Text boxes and other objects in the drawing layer are never displayed in
Normal view.

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
email it to a friend for help, but she can only view the document without
being able to make any changes. The document is not protected either.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have graphics in the document, you will have to work in Print Layout
view.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Text boxes and other objects in the drawing layer are never displayed in
Normal view.

so
all may benefit.

"eskimodeb69" wrote in message
I have a word document that has several text boxes, when opened in
normal
view nothing appears on the page, but when viewed in print layout all

items
are there, please any help will be greatly appreciated. Also I tried
email it to a friend for help, but she can only view the document
without
being able to make any changes. The document is not protected either.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Lou[_2_] Mary Lou[_2_] is offline

It's a shame that the 'new' versions of Word have so many problems with them.
Too many features, too much of everything. It's a nightmare for those of us
who have everyday forms and letters we need to use, and all of a sudden we
are bombarded with a program that needs a tutorial and a map to get around
in. If something says 'print preview' or 'normal view' 'THAT'S' what we
should be given!! not excuses about 'dynamic pagination and display of
'wrapped' objects. Who wrapped them? Who cares about dynamic pagination.
That should be made available in a more complicated program for computer
technicians, not ordinary people who don't need their everyday programs
messed up and changed.

kathy wrote:
soo - if it's normal, how are we supposed to work with it? I can't edit it,
etc. I never had this issue before.

Text boxes and other objects in the drawing layer are never displayed in
Normal view.

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
email it to a friend for help, but she can only view the document without
being able to make any changes. The document is not protected either.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Dynamic pagination and display of 'wrapped' objects" just means showing
you your page the way you have designed it and as it will print. "Wrapped"
objects are pictures that have text wrapped around (or under or in front of)
them.

http://word.mvps.org

kathy wrote:
soo - if it's normal, how are we supposed to work with it? I can't edit
it,
etc. I never had this issue before.

Text boxes and other objects in the drawing layer are never displayed
in
Normal view.
[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
email it to a friend for help, but she can only view the document
without
being able to make any changes. The document is not protected
either.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Oops, I touched your last little nerve! That was just my not so clear way of
saying that there's not as much need to use normal view (now called "draft
view" in W2007) anymore because computers, not to mention Word itself, are
fast enough to can show your work--as it will be printed-- almost instantly.

Pam