Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Christian Nein Christian Nein is offline

Default Paste Table Formats

Hi,

I made some settings to a Word table: background color
(Shading.BackgroundPatternColor), borders (Borders.LineStyle /.LineWidth),
etc. After that, I have tried to paste the formats to a second table using
the FormatPainter. Unfortunately, the mentioned format settings werde not
pasted while other settings (e.g. alignment, font) where pasted correctly.
Does anybody know how I can paste the mentioned formats to another table?

Thanks in advance & best regards
Christian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Christian Nein Christian Nein is offline

Hi Suzanne,

thanks a lot for that great hint. I didn't know about table styles before.
They work fine except one problem: Sometimes, I have more than one heading
row or colunm and I didn't find a way to extend the format form the first
heading row or column to a 2nd, 3rd, etc. Is there a way to "tell" the table
style, how many heading rows and colums the table contains? Or can I flag
rows or columns as headers?

Regards
Christian

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
This would be a reasonable use of a table style.

so
all may benefit.

"Christian Nein" wrote in message
Hi,

I made some settings to a Word table: background color
(Shading.BackgroundPatternColor), borders (Borders.LineStyle
/.LineWidth),
etc. After that, I have tried to paste the formats to a second table
using
the FormatPainter. Unfortunately, the mentioned format settings werde not
pasted while other settings (e.g. alignment, font) where pasted
correctly.
Does anybody know how I can paste the mentioned formats to another table?

Thanks in advance & best regards
Christian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I really have no experience or expertise with table styles (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/tablestyles/index.html for some reasons many
people avoid them), but it would appear that if you want more than one
heading row, you'll have to format them manually. Tagging an extra row as a
heading doesn't seem to change the formatting.

"Christian Nein" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne,

thanks a lot for that great hint. I didn't know about table styles before.
They work fine except one problem: Sometimes, I have more than one heading
row or colunm and I didn't find a way to extend the format form the first
heading row or column to a 2nd, 3rd, etc. Is there a way to "tell" the

table
style, how many heading rows and colums the table contains? Or can I flag
rows or columns as headers?

Regards
Christian

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
This would be a reasonable use of a table style.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Christian Nein" wrote in message
Hi,

I made some settings to a Word table: background color
(Shading.BackgroundPatternColor), borders (Borders.LineStyle
/.LineWidth),
etc. After that, I have tried to paste the formats to a second table
using
the FormatPainter. Unfortunately, the mentioned format settings werde

not
pasted while other settings (e.g. alignment, font) where pasted
correctly.
Does anybody know how I can paste the mentioned formats to another

table?

Thanks in advance & best regards
Christian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I avoid table styles too, but my guess is that a *heading* row in a
table style simply means the *first* row.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I really have no experience or expertise with table styles (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/tablestyles/index.html for some

reasons many
people avoid them), but it would appear that if you want more than

one
heading row, you'll have to format them manually. Tagging an extra

row as a
heading doesn't seem to change the formatting.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Christian Nein Christian Nein is offline

I tagged the second row of my test table as heading row. After that,
the row actually inherited the "Header row" format. But this does not
work with heading columns because there is no way to tag a column
as a heading. I afraid this means that table styles will not solve my
problem. Any other ideas that could help me solve my problem?

Regards
Christian

"Stefan Blom" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I'm interested in that because I found that when I tagged the second row of
a table as a heading row, it did *not* inherit the "header row" format. I
tried several different ways and never could get it to work.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Christian Nein Christian Nein is offline

1) I select the rows to be reapeated as heading cells
2) From the menu "Table | Heading Rows Repeat"
3) - Selected rows get the heading row format

Christian

"Suzanne S. Barnhill"
Same here.

"Christian Nein"
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I tried this before, and it didn't appear to work. I created a table,
formatted the first two rows as heading rows, and then applied a Table
AutoFormat that included special formatting for the heading row. Only the
first row got the formatting. I then selected the second row to see if it
was still formatted as a heading row and found Table | Heading Rows Repeat
dimmed. Moreover, it is not checked for the first row, either. What?!

Apparently applying the AutoFormat removes user-applied heading formatting
and just formats the top row as a heading row (with no guarantee that it
will repeat). When I reselected the two top rows and rechecked Heading Rows
Repeat, the heading row formatting *was* applied to both. What I hadn't
counted on was that applying the AutoFormat would wipe out my specific
settings.

[...]

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Formats for a Table of Contents Ant Microsoft Word Help 1 September 29th 06 03:14 PM
Word 2003 can't modify all table formats Rich Tables 1 September 22nd 06 03:13 PM
Custom Table Formats thiaga Tables 1 March 16th 06 04:31 PM
Losing table formats when transferring a document monkey girl Tables 1 January 24th 06 03:27 PM
Table Formats and Margins (mht files) jroo Microsoft Word Help 2 May 9th 05 06:02 PM