Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy at Trinity

Default How do I get rid of Asian Typography in Word?

Some time past my copy of Word decided it would add Asian Typography options
in Format/Paragraph and various Asian-related add-ons in the Tools/Options
tabs, and now even my Normal Font shows up as (Asian) Times Roman... etc.

How do I get rid of this stuff - I neither need, nor want it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

From the Start Menu, select All Programs, then Microsoft Office Microsoft
Office Tools Microsoft Office Language Settings.

Then remove the languages you don't want support for.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Andy at Trinity" Andy at wrote in
message ...
Some time past my copy of Word decided it would add Asian Typography

options
in Format/Paragraph and various Asian-related add-ons in the Tools/Options
tabs, and now even my Normal Font shows up as (Asian) Times Roman... etc.

How do I get rid of this stuff - I neither need, nor want it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy at Trinity

Hi Tony - sorry, should have been more specific, I'd tried this once already;
see my reply to Garfield...

Andy

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

From the Start Menu, select All Programs, then Microsoft Office Microsoft
Office Tools Microsoft Office Language Settings.

Then remove the languages you don't want support for.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Andy at Trinity" Andy at wrote in
message ...
Some time past my copy of Word decided it would add Asian Typography

options
in Format/Paragraph and various Asian-related add-ons in the Tools/Options
tabs, and now even my Normal Font shows up as (Asian) Times Roman... etc.

How do I get rid of this stuff - I neither need, nor want it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839371 "Margin marks or
crop marks appear on each corner of the page when you open a
document in Word 2002 or in Word 2003".

Andy at Trinity wrote:

Some time past my copy of Word decided it would add Asian Typography options
in Format/Paragraph and various Asian-related add-ons in the Tools/Options
tabs, and now even my Normal Font shows up as (Asian) Times Roman... etc.

How do I get rid of this stuff - I neither need, nor want it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy at Trinity

Thanks for this. The KB article was very interesting, as the crop marks did,
indeed, turn up at the same time that all the Asian stuff turned up.

I followed the instructions in the KB (and as noted by Tony in his post) and
my Office Language list is just English UK (which I can't delete - it's
greyed out) and English US. However, Word still has the crop marks at the
corner of each page, and insists on keeping all the Asian notation, options,
etc.

Under Tools/Language, this 'feature' also added the Japanese Consistency
Checker; under Tools/Options there are "Japanese Find" and "Asian Typography"
options, as well as the points I noted below.

Any other ideas on how to fix this (is it possible that the language
selection under Start/Programs/Office/etc. isn't correctly kicking all the
office apps to remove the Asian stuff?)

Andy

Andy at Trinity wrote:

Some time past my copy of Word decided it would add Asian Typography options
in Format/Paragraph and various Asian-related add-ons in the Tools/Options
tabs, and now even my Normal Font shows up as (Asian) Times Roman... etc.

How do I get rid of this stuff - I neither need, nor want it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

Click on Start | Control Panel | Regional & Language
Options.

On the Regional Options tab, select English UK under "Standards
and formats", and select UK under "Location".

On the Languages tab, click on Details | Settings tab | Default
input language: English UK | OK, and uncheck the "Install files
for complex script and right-to-left languages" and "Install
files for East Asian languages" boxes | Apply | OK.

Andy at Trinity wrote:

Some time past my copy of Word decided it would add Asian Typography options
in Format/Paragraph and various Asian-related add-ons in the Tools/Options
tabs, and now even my Normal Font shows up as (Asian) Times Roman... etc.

How do I get rid of this stuff - I neither need, nor want it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy at Trinity

Thanks for your persistence. However, having done all below, rebooted the PC,
and subsequently also used the Add/Remove Program feature for Microsoft Word,
to remove all International support (under Office Shared Features - I've X'd
every one of the options from Armenian down to Simplified Chinese), I *still*
have the corner cross hairs, Asian Typography, etc. I tried killing my
normal.dot file to get that regenerated from defaults, but that made no
difference.

I'm sure that this should be simple - but is there some combination of
Office XP / 2003 / Project / IE / etc. that means these sort of configuration
items don't get propagated correctly?

Fingers crossed that you (or someone else out there) has some idea of how to
fix this!)

Andy

Andy at Trinity wrote:

Some time past my copy of Word decided it would add Asian Typography options
in Format/Paragraph and various Asian-related add-ons in the Tools/Options
tabs, and now even my Normal Font shows up as (Asian) Times Roman... etc.

How do I get rid of this stuff - I neither need, nor want it?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I get rid of Asian Typography in Word?

Hey there! I can definitely help you with that. It sounds like your copy of Word has added some Asian typography options that you don't need or want. Here's how you can remove them:
  1. Open Microsoft Word and click on the "File" tab in the top left corner.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. In the Word Options window, click on "Language" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Under "Choose Editing Languages," select the language that you want to remove (most likely one of the Asian languages).
  5. Click on the "Remove" button on the right-hand side.
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for any other Asian languages that you want to remove.
  7. Click "OK" to save your changes and close the Word Options window.

This should remove the Asian typography options from your Format/Paragraph menu and any Asian-related add-ons from your Tools/Options tabs. Your Normal Font should also revert back to its original font.

If you have any other questions or issues, feel free to ask!

PHP Code:
// No macro or Visual Basic code found in the text