Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mkate Mkate is offline

Default Problem with Opening an Embedded Word file in Excel

Hello,

I posted this question on the Excel Forum and have not heard anything as
yet. I thought I would try the Word Forum in hopes that someone has some
experiences/resolution they can share, as I have deadline for tomorrow.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Mkate
=======================

I am having a problem with some embedded Word files placed in an Excel File
in Office 2007. I have an Excel file (Office 2003 .XLS format) from my
customer. I am responding to their request for information. I want to embed
several Word files in the spreadsheet when I return it. I did this all
the time in Office 2003 without a problem. I am Inserting an Object/Display
as an Icon/Create from a File/Browse to my file and select.

I am on a new Vista PC, and when I embed the Word files in the Excel file and
send it off to another team member who is still on XP they cannot open the
embedded files. The file is an Excel.xls and it is saved with the
Compatibility Mode option. All of the embedded documents are Word.doc format
with Compatibility Mode selected.

Has anyone had a similiar experience that they could share the "secret" of
opening these embedded files. Thank you for all guidance you can share.

Have a nice day.
--
Mkate
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

HMkate wrote:
[..]
I am having a problem with some embedded Word files placed in an Excel File
in Office 2007. I have an Excel file (Office 2003 .XLS format) from my
customer. I am responding to their request for information. I want to embed
several Word files in the spreadsheet when I return it. I did this all
the time in Office 2003 without a problem. I am Inserting an Object/Display
as an Icon/Create from a File/Browse to my file and select.

just to make su you did not select "Link to file", correct?

I am on a new Vista PC, and when I embed the Word files in the Excel file and
send it off to another team member who is still on XP they cannot open the
embedded files. The file is an Excel.xls and it is saved with the
Compatibility Mode option. All of the embedded documents are Word.doc format
with Compatibility Mode selected.

What exactly happens when the other members try to open the file?

Has anyone had a similiar experience that they could share the "secret" of
opening these embedded files. Thank you for all guidance you can share.

Similar, yes, but not exactly the same. The users who tried this were
all on Vista/Office 2007, but used Link to File. Some where able to
access the files, some not (no definite resolution while I was in that
project).

My "gut" feeling is that, using legacy files in conjunction with legacy
OLE objects might not have been a big testing scenario during early
(beta) versions, and hence there might really be something amiss there.

I've never been a big fan of OLE objects, especially when Office
versions change.

Sorry, no help, I know.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mkate Mkate is offline

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in responding back. I went back and resaved the
individual Word files as Office 2003 format and then embedded them again in
my Excel file and that seemed to fix the problem.

Thank you
--
Mkate

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote: