Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Basil Brush Basil Brush is offline

Default Keyboard shortcut to activate desktop

With the desktop showing, how can I make any icon active then use the arrow
keys to locate the file I want to open thus eliminating the mouse? (RSI
onsetting I fear) [Oh, & what is the correct term to use for this
"Activation" ? Thank you so much.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:46:00 -0700, Basil Brush
wrote:

With the desktop showing, how can I make any icon active then use the arrow
keys to locate the file I want to open thus eliminating the mouse? (RSI
onsetting I fear) [Oh, & what is the correct term to use for this
"Activation" ? Thank you so much.

I gather you're asking about the Windows desktop, not anything
particularly having to do with Word. (This _is_ a Word newsgroup.)

If you have a "Windows key" on your keyboard, that key together with
the D key minimizes all open windows and gives you access to the
desktop, with one of the icons having the focus. The arrow keys then
let you move the focus left, right, up and down through an invisible
grid. Pressing Enter starts the program associated with the selected
icon.

Most Windows programs have an Open dialog on the File menu (Office
2007 substitutes the round Office button for the File menu), and the
shortcut Ctrl+O usually goes directly to that dialog. When the dialog
displays, the Tab key cycles through the various boxes and buttons
(and Shift+Tab cycles in the reverse order). Once some file in the
list has the focus, the arrow keys move through the list and the Enter
key opens the selected file.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman