Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
krb krb is offline

Default FRUSTRATION! How do I identify buttons in Word?

Microsoft Word seems to update all intuitive uses right out of their program!
I don't know what many of the buttons are anymore that are located on the
various toolbars because when I place my mouse pointer on the button, the
small identification "drop down" boxes no longer show up...PLEASE HELP!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Uses??? I wouldn't think that truly intuitive uses of Word would need
screen tips.

Word's default setting is to show screen tips. You must have changed
that setting at some point. How you change it back depends on which
version of Word you have. Unfortunately you don't seem to know, and we
can't see your screen from here.

In Word 2002 or 2003, click on Tools | Options | View tab | check the
"ScreenTips" box | OK.

In Word 2007, click on Office Button | Word Options | Popular |
ScreenTip style: Show feature descriptions in ScreenTips | OK.

krb wrote:

Microsoft Word seems to update all intuitive uses right out of their program!
I don't know what many of the buttons are anymore that are located on the
various toolbars because when I place my mouse pointer on the button, the
small identification "drop down" boxes no longer show up...PLEASE HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
krb krb is offline

Hi "garfield-n-odie [MVP]...

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Sorry, should have
mentioned edition of Office...I have 2003. I did what you wrote and when I
looked, the screen tips option was already checked. I have opened othere
programs and the screen tips work on those buttons. Can you think of
anything else I can try?

Thanks again,
krb

krb wrote:

Microsoft Word seems to update all intuitive uses right out of their program!
I don't know what many of the buttons are anymore that are located on the
various toolbars because when I place my mouse pointer on the button, the
small identification "drop down" boxes no longer show up...PLEASE HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Close Word, and use regedit to rename Word's data key in the Windows
registry at
\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0 \Word\Data. When you
start Word again, Word will create a new Data key with the factory
default settings.