Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BARRY BARRY is offline

Default win 98 office 2000 reading office 2007 docs

I have Windows 98 and Office 2000. I am unable read office 2007 files. are
there viewers to do this. Microsoft only seems to offer a viewer download
package but it won't install for windows 98
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:42:33 -0800, Barry
wrote:

I have Windows 98 and Office 2000. I am unable read office 2007 files. are
there viewers to do this. Microsoft only seems to offer a viewer download
package but it won't install for windows 98

You're out of luck. The compatibility pack requires Windows 2000
Service Pack 4, Windows XP Service Pack 1, or Windows Server 2003.
Your installation of Windows 98 is too old and is missing things that
the compatibility pack requires. There will not be a compatibility
pack for Windows 98.

Until you're able to install a later operating system, the only thing
you can do is use Word 2007 to save the documents in the Word 97-2003
(*.doc) format. You can do that for individual files by selecting that
format in the "Save as" menu of the Office button; or you can set it
as the default format in the Word Options dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Unfortunately there comes a time when are computers can no longer do what we
need to do, even if they still work.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

"Barry" wrote in message
I have Windows 98 and Office 2000. I am unable read office 2007 files. are
there viewers to do this. Microsoft only seems to offer a viewer download
package but it won't install for windows 98

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BARRY BARRY is offline

Thanks Jay, but I can't install office 2007 with windows 98 so I guess I am
stuck until i upgrade to xp