Bill Seymour

Default Printing multiple pages on a sheet of paper

I've got a mail merge document (membership card) that is sized to 3"x2½"
paper. I want to print them ten up on a sheet of paper, centered. When I
tell Word I'd like to print, it doesn't give me ten to a page as an option,
yet I've seen busniess card layouts that will print the same document ten up.
Could anyone explain to me how to tell Word to print what I want? Thanks...

1. Open Tools | Envelopes and Labels (in Word 2002 and 2003, it's Tools |
Letters and Mailings | Envelopes and Labels) and select the Labels tab.

2. Click on the Options... button.

3. In the Label Options dialog, select "Avery standard" beside "Label
products" (it will probably be selected by default).

4. In the "Product number" list, scroll down to one of the stock numbers for
a sheet of business cards, such as 3612.

5. Click OK, then New Document. This will give you a full sheet of business
cards. They're set up as a table, so be sure you have table gridlines
displayed (Table | Show Gridlines) so that you can see the label boundaries.

6. Set up your card design in one label, then Copy. Select the entire table
and Paste.

FWIW, this is *much* easier to do in Publisher.

"Bill Seymour" Bill wrote in message
I've got a mail merge document (membership card) that is sized to 3"x2½"
paper. I want to print them ten up on a sheet of paper, centered. When I
tell Word I'd like to print, it doesn't give me ten to a page as an

option,
yet I've seen busniess card layouts that will print the same document ten

up.
Could anyone explain to me how to tell Word to print what I want?

Thanks...

Bill Seymour

Hi Suzanne, unfortunately this doesn't allow me to do the mail merge that
makes each membership card unique. Each card has the name and member number
printed on it, so a table defining the shape of the cards doesn't work. I
need to be able to print what Word considers different pages on the sheet,
such that each page reflects the differing contents of the cards.

Best regards,
Bill Seymour

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

1. Open Tools | Envelopes and Labels (in Word 2002 and 2003, it's Tools |
Letters and Mailings | Envelopes and Labels) and select the Labels tab.

2. Click on the Options... button.

3. In the Label Options dialog, select "Avery standard" beside "Label
products" (it will probably be selected by default).

4. In the "Product number" list, scroll down to one of the stock numbers for
a sheet of business cards, such as 3612.

5. Click OK, then New Document. This will give you a full sheet of business
cards. They're set up as a table, so be sure you have table gridlines
displayed (Table | Show Gridlines) so that you can see the label boundaries.

6. Set up your card design in one label, then Copy. Select the entire table
and Paste.

FWIW, this is *much* easier to do in Publisher.

Did you mention that this was a mail merge? Well, you just select Labels for
the merge type. Create the mail merge main document with the desired card
layout and include merge fields for the variable information. How you go
about this will depend on your version of Word. For information on Word 2000
and earlier, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm.
For Word 2002/2003, see

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Bill Seymour

Thaks Suzanne, that's closer. I now get a couple of hundred pages with one
membership card per page. the mail merge doesn't seem to fill the table, it
only places items in the first table cell on each page. This is pretty much
the same result I had with the original attempt using the business card
templates, except that I'm only getting on per page instead of several
identical ones per page. Word 2003 BTW, if that helps.

Bill

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you mention that this was a mail merge? Well, you just select Labels for
the merge type. Create the mail merge main document with the desired card
layout and include merge fields for the variable information. How you go
about this will depend on your version of Word. For information on Word 2000
and earlier, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm.
For Word 2002/2003, see

It is very easy to overlook the Propagate Labels step, which copies your
design (including merge fields) from one label to the rest on the page. I
haven't used the Mail Merge Wizard enough to tell you exactly where that
step occurs (I create my merges the old-fashioned way; see
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/...MailMerges.htm), but if you will
back up a bit, you should see an inconspicuous instruction that uses some
other word besides "propagate" but to the same general effect. Ah, wait, the
KB article "How to use the mail merge to create mailing labels in Word 2002"
at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294684 tells me that the instruction
is "Update all labels."