Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard Andrew Kennard is offline

Default Mailmerge multiple lines (invoice etc)

Hi all

At some point in the near future the application we are writing will need to
call/automate/workwith Word for the creation of invoices etc

I understand the basic mailmerge stuff and it is quite easy to put an
address block in etc.

But what do people do when they want to merge in an invoice style block
where they do not know howmany "lines" there will be ?

Does anyone out there use Word for invoices ? if so how do you deal with say
the four columns Item Description, Qty, Price, Total. As one invoice could
be a single line and another could be 20 or more ... even two pages.

Obviously I could setup masses of merge fields and have a fixed size records
but this seems too limiting.

I need my application to be 'in charge' so don't really want to go down the
VB script route to automate Word but this is not out of the question so long
as my app knows what was going on and VB could get at te SQL data in a
realitivly complex relational database without miles of code

Thanks in advance for any tips

Kind Regards

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

That would amount to a "multiple items per condition (=key field)" mailmerge
which Word does not really have the ability to do,

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard Andrew Kennard is offline

Doug

Thanks for the info. We'll probably be using Office XP or later but from the
link you have given me it does look like the way to get it to work is from
the Word side by either accessing the data direct from the database or merge
it in a single complex fields and then use VB to split it up.

What I'm really after is to use the power of Word for page layout placing
images etc etc and then just have simple markers where the varibales go.

Not all of the documents I want to produce will be invoices but the will
need the "muliple row" features.

I'm desparate not to go down the writing my own mini WP route as have been
here many many moons ago and whilst it gives maximum control it's just so
much code and your always have to add new features !

Thanks