Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ana24 Ana24 is offline

Default Add numbering staring on 4th page

I have a document that I want to start number with 1 on the 4th page. I
looked at the other threads on this website but I still couln't figure it out

Page 1 is the cover page
Page 2 is the forward
Page 3 is the Table of Contents in 2 columns
Page 4 is where I want the numbering to begin

I tried the section breaks but and it will put 1 on Page 4 but the numbering
won't continue through the rest of the pages. Instead it will also put the
numbering on pages 1-3 which I don't want. I just can't seem to get it to
start continous numbering from Page 4. HELP!!!

Thanks!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Horatio J. Bilge, Jr. Horatio J. Bilge, Jr. is offline

Try this link ("Page Numbers Beginning After the First Page"). It worked for
me, but you may need to play around with the formatting. For example, in step
9, it says that in Word2003 you can enter the number you want to start at,
but I found that I needed to tell it to start at 0 (zero) in order to start
with 1 on the desired page.

"Ana24" wrote:

I have a document that I want to start number with 1 on the 4th page. I
looked at the other threads on this website but I still couln't figure it out

Page 1 is the cover page
Page 2 is the forward
Page 3 is the Table of Contents in 2 columns
Page 4 is where I want the numbering to begin

I tried the section breaks but and it will put 1 on Page 4 but the numbering
won't continue through the rest of the pages. Instead it will also put the
numbering on pages 1-3 which I don't want. I just can't seem to get it to
start continous numbering from Page 4. HELP!!!

Thanks!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Whenever you want to restart numbering (which is what this amounts to), you
have to insert a section break. Since your TOC is in two columns, it
probably already ends in a Continuous break, but I would still advise
inserting a Next Page section break between pages 3 and 4. This new section
will be Section 3 (since the TOC is Section 2).

View the Header/Footer of Section 3 and unlink it from the previous one. Use
Format Page Numbers to start the numbering at 1, then insert a page number
in the desired location using the Insert Page Number button. Leave the
Section 1 and 2 headers/footers empty. More at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm. For general
page numbering issues, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm.

From your description, it may be that you have "Different first page"
enabled (which would explain the page number on the first page of a section
and not the rest). If so, you don't need it (or you need to add the page
number to the Header/Footer as well as the First Page Header/Footer).

Also note that page 2 is the Foreword (not "forward").

http://word.mvps.org