Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cram cram is offline

Default formatting mailmerge in word2003

I want to format a string, coming from a access-query into my merged document.
The value is BE012345679. I want to format as BE 0123.456.789 wich is in
fact a belgian VAT nummer.
Formating the string in the query does not help.
Is there a "over-all-structure" for formatting this kind of strings?

Thanks a lot
--
cram
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word does not have the ability to do that, but for sure it can be done with
a Query in Access even if you had to resort to

Left(fname, 2) & " " & Mid(fname, 3, 4) & "." & Mid(fname, 7, 3) & "." &
Right(fname, 3)

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"cram" wrote in message
I want to format a string, coming from a access-query into my merged
document.
The value is BE012345679. I want to format as BE 0123.456.789 wich is in
fact a belgian VAT nummer.
Formating the string in the query does not help.
Is there a "over-all-structure" for formatting this kind of strings?

Thanks a lot
--
cram

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cram cram is offline

Thanks Doug,
this works.
I tried before to use a format() in my query but it went wrong. What you
propose is in fact quiet logic = make a "real" string...
When i look in the result in my access query, i see a rather different
presentation than the word result, is this OK?
See you.

--
cram

"cram" wrote in message
I want to format a string, coming from a access-query into my merged
document.
The value is BE012345679. I want to format as BE 0123.456.789 wich is in
fact a belgian VAT nummer.
Formating the string in the query does not help.
Is there a "over-all-structure" for formatting this kind of strings?

Thanks a lot
--
cram

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cram cram is offline

Indeed result is OK. But I wonder why (although not a women, still very
curious...)
something like this BE 01 12.4.56..789
when I activate the "cell" the presentation is normal as it should be: BE
0123.456.789
if you do'nt have a ready-made answer, forget it. It doesn't matter.
Thanks anyway. You helped me a lot for this and some more "problems".
--
cram

"cram" wrote in message
I want to format a string, coming from a access-query into my merged
document.
The value is BE012345679. I want to format as BE 0123.456.789 wich is
in
fact a belgian VAT nummer.
Formating the string in the query does not help.
Is there a "over-all-structure" for formatting this kind of strings?

Thanks a lot
--
cram

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Now you've got me wonderingG

I can't explain it.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Word does not have the ability to do that, but for sure it can be done
with
a Query in Access even if you had to resort to

Left(fname, 2) & " " & Mid(fname, 3, 4) & "." & Mid(fname, 7, 3) & "."
&
Right(fname, 3)