Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mdvespa mdvespa is offline

Default Merge Field Validation

I have a large mail merge in MS Word 2007. Is there a way to validate that
all fields are filled out for each address (other than doing a manual review)?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi mdvespa,

You should test the data source for this. Whatever app you're using to create the data source should have the necessary tools.

--
Cheers
macropod

"mdvespa" wrote in message ...
I have a large mail merge in MS Word 2007. Is there a way to validate that
all fields are filled out for each address (other than doing a manual review)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mdvespa mdvespa is offline

Unfortunately, my data source does not provide with functionality. Is there
any way to perform this in MS Word?

mdvespa

"mdvespa" wrote in message ...
I have a large mail merge in MS Word 2007. Is there a way to validate that
all fields are filled out for each address (other than doing a manual review)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Create a single row Word table with as many columns as you have fields. Put
a field in each column. Attach your data source and set the document type to
directory. Merge to a new document. Sort the table in that document by each
column in turn. Any empty fields in that column will be at the top of the
table.

"mdvespa" wrote in message
I have a large mail merge in MS Word 2007. Is there a way to
validate that all fields are filled out for each address (other
than doing a manual review)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I'd go with Graham's suggestion (or if the number of records is small
enough to fit in the recipients dialog box, you could try
sorting/filtering in there - I'd do it one column at a time). There are
a couple of other variations on these approaches.

But what is the data source?

Peer Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"mdvespa" wrote in message ...
I have a large mail merge in MS Word 2007. Is there a way to validate that
all fields are filled out for each address (other than doing a manual review)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Shinano[_2_] Shinano[_2_] is offline

Hi mdvespa,

Have you considered using Excel for. It sounds to me as if the auto-filter
option will take you where you want to go.

Again, I guess it depends on the nature of your source, but Excel is a very
flexible tool for importing, verifying, cleaning and exporting data.

Regards,

Shinano