Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeanneJo JeanneJo is offline

Default "Find" when trying to find a file in Word

Is there a way to locate a file in Word, I assume using Open, when you don't
exactly remember the name of the file, and you'd like to look for part of a
name or perhaps a very distinct word that you know appears in the document
you're trying to locate but can't remember the name of?

Hope that's not too confusing a question.

And thanks very much.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Use the Windows search function (Windows key + F), and put the word or
phrase in the box (depending on which version of Windows, there may be
separate boxes for the file name and for the content, or there may be
just one box).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:17:01 -0700, JeanneJo
wrote:

Is there a way to locate a file in Word, I assume using Open, when you don't
exactly remember the name of the file, and you'd like to look for part of a
name or perhaps a very distinct word that you know appears in the document
you're trying to locate but can't remember the name of?

Hope that's not too confusing a question.

And thanks very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

For part of the filename - you can put the part you know in the filename box
and click enter. It will narrow the list to those filenames that contain the
string you entered. In some older Word versions you may have to put
asterisks either side of the string eg *text*