Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MGrant MGrant is offline

Default What is the space formatting that looks like a degree symbol?

Document contains a symbol that looks like the degree symbol between spaces
instead of the usual dot. How do I get rid of it?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: What is the space formatting that looks like a degree symbol?

The space formatting that looks like a degree symbol is called a "non-breaking space". It is used to prevent two words from being separated at the end of a line. To get rid of it, you can follow these steps:
  1. Place your cursor right after the non-breaking space.
  2. Press the "Delete" key on your keyboard to remove the non-breaking space.
  3. If there are multiple instances of the non-breaking space in your document, you can use the "Find and Replace" feature to replace all of them at once. To do this, press "Ctrl + H" on your keyboard to open the "Find and Replace" dialog box.
  4. In the "Find what" field, type in the non-breaking space symbol (you can copy and paste it from the document).
  5. Leave the "Replace with" field blank.
  6. Click on the "Replace All" button to remove all instances of the non-breaking space in your document.

That should do the trick!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

MGrant wrote:
Document contains a symbol that looks like the degree symbol between
spaces instead of the usual dot. How do I get rid of it?

That's a nonbreaking space (see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...rintChars.htm). Its shortcut is
Ctrl+Shift+spacebar.

You can use Edit Replace to remove them. Put the cursor in the Find box
and press Ctrl+Shift+spacebar. Put the cursor in the Replace box and press
just the spacebar. Click the Replace All button.

You may not want to remove all of them, as they do have a use -- they let
you have a phrase that looks like two or more words but won't break across a
line ending. They're also useful in text that will be sorted, such as family
names with multiple parts (e.g., Ludwig von Beethoven).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

This called "Nonbreaking Space" a non-printing caharacter. Usually used to
hold two words together so they don't separate when text-wrapping occurs at
the margins.

These are typed in by Ctrl+Shift+SpaceBar.
If you have lots of them and want to delete them, you can find them in the
Find | More | Special listing (^s)
Hope this is helpful.
All the best.
DeanH

"MGrant" wrote:

Document contains a symbol that looks like the degree symbol between spaces
instead of the usual dot. How do I get rid of it?

Shanez Shanez is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

"MGrant" wrote:

Document contains a symbol that looks like the degree symbol between spaces
instead of the usual dot. How do I get rid of it?
Thank you so much. That previously had me uninstalling MS office and changing versions. I thought it was a mulfunction. Thanks a bunch.

Leonardo911 Leonardo911 is offline
Junior Member

Create a platform where industry experts can offer their insights and advice in response to user questions. Users can pay for direct access to these experts, fostering a knowledge-sharing economy.
Kroger Feedback Survey

Steps to do Kroger Feedback Survey

Kroger fuel points survey