Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Leona Leal Educator Leona Leal Educator is offline

Default DDE Connections

Could not re-establish DDE Connection.

For Peter or Len, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Most of our computers have Word 2000 and/or Access 2002 or 2003.

I have added ;C:\MSOffice to my Path.

It worked on about half of my machines but not all of them. The machines
are basically the same.

I am trying to get the Office 2007 which our school district have purchased
installed, but the Chair of the English Department is fighting me all the way.

Is this the only way I am going to get it to work on all my machines, or
does someone out there have another suggestion?

Thanks in Advance

Granny Leona
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I have added ;C:\MSOffice to my Path.

Is that definitely where the copy of MSACCESS.EXE you need to use is?
Typically it would actually be in something more like the following (for
Office 2003)

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11

For Access 2007 the problem may be something else.
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Leona Leal Educator" wrote in
message ...
Could not re-establish DDE Connection.

For Peter or Len, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Most of our computers have Word 2000 and/or Access 2002 or 2003.

I have added ;C:\MSOffice to my Path.

It worked on about half of my machines but not all of them. The machines
are basically the same.

I am trying to get the Office 2007 which our school district have
purchased
installed, but the Chair of the English Department is fighting me all the
way.

Is this the only way I am going to get it to work on all my machines, or
does someone out there have another suggestion?

Thanks in Advance

Granny Leona

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Leona Leal Educator Leona Leal Educator is offline

Yes Peter (and thanks for getting back to me) that is where it is at. Our
Regional IT Director does not want any Microsoft Products we purchase in the
Program Files Folder (Directory). Both Word and Access are in the same
Directory.

Granny Leona

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, I'm sorry to ask you to do stuff you've probably done before but
sometimes it's hard to tell (or remember) what people have already tried.

Stuff to check...
a. We are talking specifically about getting Word to get data via DDE? Do
we need to cover that ground? With Word 2000 the other option is to use
ODBC, but that has a different set of difficulties.
b. When you start Access on its own, you don't get any dialog boxes. If you
do, the chances are that when Word tries to open Access via DDE, that box
will be displayed, but if the user cannot see it, they cannot respond to it.
c. Access allows DDE connections. (e.g. ensure that Access
Tools-Options-Advanced-"Ignore DDE Requests" is unchecked)
d. Ensure that the version of Access you want is on thePATH (been there,
done that...But if multiple versions of Access are in use etc. there could
also be problems)
e. What happens if you insert and evaluate a DDE field in Word as follows:

{ DDE MSACCESS SYSTEM SYSITEMS }

(the usual ctrl-F9 to insert the {}, everything else is plain text, then
select and press F9 to evaluate the field, Alt-F9 to toggle between field
codes and field results)