Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

Default linking and sequential numbering of tables

hi all,

office 2003 pro sp2, wxp pro sp2,

large documents (300+ pages and increasing) numerous figures and tables. i
wonder whether there is a way to link a mention of the table within the text
to the table itself. what i mean and what i want to achieve:

for example, the text would say, "...the salient points of the distribution
can be found in Table 1." what i want to do is to enable a reader when they
click on Table 1 within the text, to be able to get to Table 1 itself (which
may be some pages away).

which then brings me to my second want: is there a way to automatically
numbered the tables so that for example if i moved Table 3, 4, and 5 to below
Table 6, 7, and 8, the table numbering would automatically re-ordered
themselves, and not only that the in-text citations of these tables would
also changed.

manually doing them at the moment and it is slowing down the work speed.
would appreciate help, advice.

thanks,
jes
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Insert Reference Cross Reference Table

This assumes that you used Insert Reference Caption to add a caption to
your table.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

hi guys (charles and suzanne),

i know word 2003 is supposed to be a productivity tools but never imagined
that learning the more deeper functions (such as the one that i presummed i
am seeking) would be worth the effort to begin with. it is only know that i
am beginning to question the wisdom not learning it to begin with, but then i
thought there is probably no point learning something that you are not going
to end-up using as then you would have forgotten about them.

at the moment, i suppose you could liken it to beating or punishing myself,
i find it more and more hard going jiggling things (Tables and Figures). i
have used headings with the view of generating table of contents but that
about as far as into the 'advanced' stuffs of word 2003 at the moment.

suzanne, yes i am creating this document (now on p. 359) without knowing all
that and beginning to find it really, really hard-going. i probably would
never know how much easier it would be if i know most of the word 2003
functions but next time, if ever i am 'lucked-out' to create another similar
documents i would be a little bit wiser :-).

i'll try the suggestions and come back to you guys. additionally, would you
be able to tell me also how to generate an index (assuming it is possible at
this late stage), you know like the one you find at the end of a book, in the
last few pages?

thanks,
jes

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Luckily, an index is *not* something you have to think about setting up as
you go along (although you certainly could), as it's really something you
*want* to do at the end. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Wow! You're creating a 300-page document and haven't discovered Insert |
Reference | Caption and Insert | Reference | Cross-reference: Insert as
hyperlink?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

suzanne, charles,

just an update, insert - reference - caption and insert - reference -
cross-reference for the tables worked. it is quite tedious that i have to go
through my document from top to bottom to caption'd and cross-reference all
the tables. hopefully it will help in the long run.

can i presumed that they (caption and cross-reference) would work as well
for the figures in my document (i saw the figure option)?

suzanne, thanks for the indexing link. did not realised that it can be that
involved.

regards,
jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

suzanne, charles,

just a thought; i noticed that with captioning, it comes with it's own set
of formatting. at the very least, captioning emboldened the table title (i
believe the technical jargon/term for the table 'title' would be 'label' in
the context of captioning). i wonder though whether imposing additional
formatting e.g. un-bolding and changing the font size/type to comply with
requirement would ruin the linking/captioning?

thanks again,
jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Modify the caption Style. Do not change each caption directly. Changing the
look of captions won't change the ability to cross-reference them. Changing
to a different Style might, I haven't tried. I've never used the insert
caption feature, except to answer your question. I have used the Insert
Cross Reference feature, though, and was aware that "Caption" was one of the
kinds of things with which cross-references could be used.

I'm going to give you the list of links and the spiel I give to people
coming to Word from Word Perfect. Invest some time learning to use Word well
if you are going to be using it. Doing so will repay you in both time and
satisfaction very quickly. A great starting place is
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...ion/index.html.

Here is some general info on moving from Word Perfect to Word:

Word and Word Perfect work very differently from one another. Each program's
methods have strengths and weaknesses; but, if you try to use one of these
programs as if it were the other, it is like pushing on a string! You can
easily make a lot of extra work for yourself. In the (short) long term
(weeks rather than years) spending the time to learn Word will save you time
if you are spending any time at all (more than an hour a day) using Word.

See http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ordPerfect.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...AndGotchas.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...Converters.htm
for information on Word for Word Perfect users.

For mo
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...gExplained.htm
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...latesStore.htm

Function Keys

In Word 2000 (or later) You can get the function keys to display in a
special toolbar at the bottom of the screen if you want (something like
pressing F3 twice in WP). The following macro will do this.
Sub ShowMeFunctionKeys()
Commandbars("Function Key Display").Visible = True
End Sub

Word's Extend key (F8) gives something similar to block processing.

Formatting and Styles

Learn about Styles - really learn!
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm I resisted for years and now
regret every day of those years because although that string was still very
hard to push, it kept getting longer and longer, and had some very important
projects tied to it! Once you understand styles and the Word concept of
organizing things into Chinese boxes everything falls into place and instead
of pushing a string, you can push a button that turns on the very powerful
text processing machine known as Microsoft Word and it will start doing your
work for you instead of running around behind you trying to undo what you
just thought you did.

Converting documents Word / Word Perfect

Some special characters in Word Perfect documents don't convert well to
Word. There is a macro to assist with this described at
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/...html#macroword and can be found
at http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/WPSymbolConv.bas.
This was prepared by Edward Mendelson.
Otherwise, look at the macro from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212396
Use these on _copies_!

As for converting documents from Word Perfect to _use_ in Word... In a word,
don't plan on it. I would not recommend using converted documents long-term.
They will be filled with formatting anomolies that will get you at the worst
time. This is especially true of any documents containing automatic
numbering or bullets. Try recreating form documents in Word using the
following process:
In Word Perfect (if you still have it, in Word if not) save your files as
text files.
Use your converted files as references to show you how you want your
formatting to look.
Create a new document in Word and insert the text from the text file. Save
this new document as a Word template. Format it the way you want using
styles, not direct formatting. Save it again.
To use a template within Word, use File = New and pick your template. This
will create a new document for you.

Merge documents have special problems and should be recreated from text
files or retyped in Word. To convert data files, consider generating labels
in WP as a document, converting that to Word, and then using
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm to get a new Word
data file.

Note that conversions usually do create documents that look passable and
print OK; the problems I'm referring to have to do with editing / making
changes, that is, using the documents long-term. (See below on reusing
documents vs. using templates.)

Conversion back to Word Perfect: There is a problem (in addition to the ones
mentioned for conversion _to_ Word) with Version 2002 (XP) and later of
Word. The conversion file only works for conversion _to_ Word, not from Word
to Word Perfect! Earlier versions went both ways. To fix this, you need to
find the old conversion file WPFT532.CNV from a Word 97 or Word 2000
installation and copy it to your new installation, replacing the file of the
same name. Note, the change making the file one-way was done as a security
measure. While I don't know of any problems the old file causes, keep the
new installation's file somewhere as a backup just in case.

Menus and AutoFormat as you type

Turn off the adaptive menus (display full menus all the time). This is under
Tools Customize Options. Also, I recommend that under Tools
AutoCorrect Options AutoFormat as you type that all options under "Apply
as you type" and "Automatically as you type" be turned off.

Boilerplate and Forms

In WP a lot of people use macros to hold chunks of text - boilerplate. In
Word this function is filled by Templates, AutoText and AutoCorrect, not
macros. Follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebre...s.htm#AutoText for more
information on these tools.

You can use FILLIN and ASK fields or UserForms to query the user. For more
about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Letterhead

How to set up letterhead or some other document where you want one header
(or no header) on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (This page also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial
(for simulating different margins on different pages, among other things)

Reusing Documents vs. Using templates

General practice in WP is to have a document and copy and edit it to create
a new document. This is not good practice in Word. In Word, construct a
good, tight, template for your documents and use that template when
constructing new documents. Among other things, this can avoid embarrassing
"metadata" (http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/metadata.htm) and things
like surprise headers and footers from creeping into new documents.

Sharing normal.dot - centralizing normal.dot

It is tempting to try to share customizations and regularize processes by
sharing normal.dot. Do not do this! See
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm and
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm for ideas on sharing
customizations.

It's a lot of reading, I know. It's OK to chunk it down and do a bit each
day, but I would recommend that you make it a top priority to do that bit
each day. In the (short) long run, it will save you both time and grief.
--

Charles Kenyon

See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs which is awesome!

My criminal law site: http://addbalance.com

"xppuser" wrote in message
suzanne, charles,

just a thought; i noticed that with captioning, it comes with it's own set
of formatting. at the very least, captioning emboldened the table title (i
believe the technical jargon/term for the table 'title' would be 'label'
in
the context of captioning). i wonder though whether imposing additional
formatting e.g. un-bolding and changing the font size/type to comply with
requirement would ruin the linking/captioning?

thanks again,
jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

'wow' thanks for these pointers and the macro, charles. will have to find
time in-between and after doing this document to rattle through them. for
now, i will leave the caption formatting style untouched.

regards,
jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You can modify the Caption style; you can also create your own different
styles for figure and table captions/titles and apply them. They will not
affect the numbering (which is created by a SEQ field) or the ability to
cross-reference, but they will affect how you create a Table of Figures or
List of Tables, since the TOF feature by default (AIUI) looks for paragraphs
in the Caption style. You can, however, specify the style it picks up, so
there still shouldn't be any problem.

"xppuser" wrote in message
suzanne, charles,

just a thought; i noticed that with captioning, it comes with it's own

set
of formatting. at the very least, captioning emboldened the table title

(i
believe the technical jargon/term for the table 'title' would be 'label'
in
the context of captioning). i wonder though whether imposing additional
formatting e.g. un-bolding and changing the font size/type to comply

with
requirement would ruin the linking/captioning?

thanks again,
jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

suzanne, charles,

thanks again. i guessed this is what the expression flying by the seat of
your pants meant. i am into unchartered territory now as far as creating this
document in so far as the Tables and Figures captioning is concerned.

the requirement was that spacing of paragraph be 1.5 lines and the text
should 'un-boldened' size 11 font. in my word 2003, caption produced bold
text with 1 spacing and size 10 fonts. initially i have made changes as i
went along captioning the tables but now after reading what you guys said, i
think (prudent dictate) that i leave things be. i thus have undone the
changes to status quo. two reasons:

1. changing the style, though it may not wreck cross-reference, it may wreck
future generation Table of tables and figures (i may be under the wrong
impression).

2. there is much to lose (effort, time, and stress) if i went wrong in
changing the caption using Style & Formatting - Modify Style (maybe it is
straight forward but at the moment i am too timid to mess about with it).

so i think i can accept the tables' (and later figures - i have not done
captioning all the tables and cross-referencing them yet) titles word default
formatting as is for now.

thank you again for your advice and pointers,
jes
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

hi again,

another question regarding caption and cross-reference if i may.

i have almost completed captioning & cross-referencing the tables and moving
to figures now. i am just wondering whether it is possible to prefix the
numbering by the section or chapter no. e.g. the first table from Chapter 1
would be labelled Table 1.1 while the first figure in Chapter 1 would be
correspondingly lablelled Figure 1.1, and the first table in Chapter 2 would
be labelled Table 2.1 and likewise for the rest of the tables and figures in
the remaining chapters.

i have 'chapterized' my document using Heading 1, 2 and 3 (haven't gone
beyond level 3). when i look-up Caption there is an option to include Chapter
but i am not sure whether it would work the way that i intended rather than
e.g. for the fifth table but first table in chapter two appearing as Table
2.5 (using MS built-in Captioning) when really what i wanted was Table 2.1.

thanks for advice/help again,
jes

ps: i am not sure about the 'net-etiquette' in this situation where
technically this is a new topic/question but principally it is just a
continuation of the previous topic matter whether i should have posted/opened
a new thread. would appreciate a small comment about this as well. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

hi suzanne,

thanks for the tip. i tried it on a copy of the document. my steps we

1. go to the actual figure's caption
2. toggle the SEQ fields (Alt+F9)
3. add \r1 switch at the end of fields but within the curly bracket i.e.}
4. Edit - Select All - F9 (i.e. update fields)

these seems to work well i.e. where i have inserted the "\r1" switch (in
this case within the caption of what was previously figure 8) and updating
the fields, the caption on the actual figure now read Figure 1 and the
in-text citation of what was previously referre to as Figure 8 had become
Figure 1. so if this is what i wanted, and please correct me if i am wrong,
then for each figure and table at the beginning of the chapter, i should
insert the "\r1" switch, shouldn't i?

only thing is what i wanted (if possible at all to be achieved, short of
doing it manually) was to do:

the first figure (or table) of chapter 1 to be captioned Figure 1.1 or Table
1.1 respectively while the second figure (or table) of chapter 1 to be
captioned Figure 1.2 or Table 1.2 respectively while those of chapter 2 be
labelled Figure 2.1 (and Table 2.1) and Figure 2.2 (and Table 2.2)
respectively.

thanks for your help and advice again,
jes

ps: i went to the word.mvps.org site searching for ways to do this but could
not locate it but of course i could be not looking at the right place or the
phraseology of the search term was not correct.

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

hi again suzanne,

thanks for the affirmation. i guess if i could not get the figures and
tables to be labelled (short of doing it manually one by one) ala Table 1.1,
1.2 and Figure 1.1 , 1.2 for Chapter 1 first and second corresponding tables
and figures; and Table 2.1, 2.2 and Figure 2.1, 2.2 for Chapter 2 first and
second tables and figures, i am going stick to sequential running tally of
tables and figures. i think this will look better and more informative then
to have several figure 1's (albeit in different chapters) etc in the document.

till next time,
jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I have never used this feature, but I would have assumed that when you added
the chapter number, the numbers would restart manually after each new
heading at the level used. And in fact that is the way it does work for me
(at least in a small test). If I insert two numbered Heading 1 paragraphs
and use Insert | Reference | Caption to insert a Figure caption after the
first heading (#1), checking "Include chapter number," I get Figure 1.1. If
I then insert a caption after the second heading (#2), it is Figure 2.1.

"xppuser" wrote in message
hi again suzanne,

thanks for the affirmation. i guess if i could not get the figures and
tables to be labelled (short of doing it manually one by one) ala Table

1.1,
1.2 and Figure 1.1 , 1.2 for Chapter 1 first and second corresponding

tables
and figures; and Table 2.1, 2.2 and Figure 2.1, 2.2 for Chapter 2 first

and
second tables and figures, i am going stick to sequential running tally of
tables and figures. i think this will look better and more informative

then
to have several figure 1's (albeit in different chapters) etc in the

document.

till next time,
jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

hi suzanne,

i think i am staring at a disaster in the making here...

in the document i am working on at the moment, i have used Heading 1 default
style for 'Chapterizing' i.e. Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc... are formatted
using Heading 1 style with sub-headings (Heading 2 and Heading 3, nothing
further). in sequence, my Heading 1 headings or chapters of the document i am
working on are List of Abbreviation (Heading 1), Summary of findings (Heading
1), Chapter 1 (Heading 1) and so on from hereinafter i.e. Chapter 2 (Heading
1), Chapter 3 (Heading 1)... etc.

with regards to the figures and tables - at the moment it is numbered
sequentially regardless of the chapter i.e. the fourth figures of the
document was automatically Caption'd assigned with Figure 4 even though the
figure was located in Chapter 3, likewise, e.g. the sixth tables, which was
on Chapter 4, was automatically Caption'd assigned with Table 6.

following your posting (7/11), i decided to investigate Insert - Caption -
Numbering - proceeded to put a tick on the Include Chapter Number (it was
not before). subsequently i received the following pop-up error message,
"There is no chapter number to include in the caption or page number. To
apply chapter numbers use the Bullets & Numbering command on the Format menu
and select a multilevel list style that is linked to the Heading styles."

so i realised that even though i have typed Chapter 1 and used Heading 1
style, i have not formatted (it seems) the document to Chapterized it as Word
knows it. so i tried to Format - Bullets and Numbering - Outline Numbered
(chosen the 7th style clockwise from top left, adding the word Chapter in
'Customized') but what happened (description followed by queries):

1. Chapter 1 now starts at List of Abbreviations, followed by Chapter 2
Summary of findings and Chapter 3 Chapter 1 (if you see what i mean), what i
wanted if possible, was to start the Format - Bullets and Numbering -
Outline Numbered at the third Heading 1, which I have already called Chapter
1. one work around this was to remove List of Abbreviation and Summary of
findings, to add them back again when the document is finalized. thinking
ahead though, this option could (i am sure it would) messed generation of
Table of Content/Tables/Figures. is there a way to make Bullets and Numbering
to begin at the third Heading 1 instead of right at the top i.e. List of
Abbreviation & Summary of findings would be left as is while Bullets and
Numbering would commence thereafter?

2. even after applying Bullets and Numbering (and then Edit - Select All -
F9 to update fields) the Figures and Tables are still numbered sequentially.
i have tested a couple of the figures and tables i.e. by re-applying Insert
- Caption - Numbering - proceeded to put a tick on the Include Chapter
Number and this appear to do the trick in that the Figures and Tables appear
as Figure 3.1 for the first figure of Chapter 3 and Table 4.2 for the second
table of Chapter 4 (as i originally wished). my question is, is there a way
to update all the captioning and cross-referencing that i have done to date,
or (with sinking feeling) i have to manually re-caption and re-cross
reference every single figures and tables again?

thanks for your (yours & others) advice, help and patience,
jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Okay, this is still fine. You need to create a different style formatted
identical to Heading 1 (except for the numbering) but NOT based on it to use
for your List of Abbreviations, Summary of Findings, etc. If you want to
include it in the TOC, give it an outline level of 1; otherwise leave it as
Body Text.

If updating the captions doesn't help, they may have to be inserted from
scratch, I'm afraid. Alternatively, examine the field code of a caption
inserted using "Include chapter number" and just paste the appropriate field
code (which will likely be { STYLEREF 1 \s }) into each caption.

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

ok suzanne, no panic here!

here's what i have done (and i think it is what you meant, since it worked
out alright seemingly):

i have changed the style formatting of List of Abbreviations & Summary of
Findings from Heading 1 to Body text, Bold, Size 14 and assigned outline
Level 1 then apply Bullets & Numbering etc. it worked! Chapter 1 is now
Chapter 1 and so on.

not only that, now even the figures and tables appeared correctly (the few
that i re-captioned to include chapter number) but it looks like i have to
manually re-captioned all the figures and tables, additionally i have to
re-crossreferenced all the in-text citations of the figures and tables. there
is not much choice/difference between pasting { STYLEREF 1 \s } to every
single figures/tables and re-captioning (i don't think). i wish i have
thought/learnt about these issues earlier and may be i could have recorded a
macro to automate the re-captioning but c'est la vie. at least now my
documents appeared as i think it should be.

for my own education, could you tell or provide me with a link to find out
what are the switches in the captions and their respective functions? i tried
to google for these but could not find the answer.

thanks again suzanne, your advice/guidance has been very helpful and useful.

regards,
jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

hi suzanne,

i have forgotten to ask you in my reply. once i have applied the formatting
e.g. Bullets and Numbering, is there a way to undo such formatting in the
future (as in i saved the work, close, re-open the next day and i feel like
reverting to what it was before being formatted with e.g. Bullets and
Numbering)? naturally this precludes the use of undo button (Edit - Undo).

thanks,
jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You really need to create a new style for your new headings. Body Text,
Bold, Size 14 is just formatting; save it as a named style so that you can
pick it up for the TOC if desired.

You may find that F4 (Repeat) is helpful in inserting new captions. Since I
don't use the caption feature myself, I'm not really familiar with the way
they work, but you can find some information about the component SEQ and
STYLEREF fields from their respective Help topics. Interestingly the \s
switch is not listed in the StyleRef Help topic, so I'm not sure what it
does.

Looking ahead, assuming that you will have a TOC, you might want to save
yourself some work by reading these articles:

How to create a table of contents in Microsoft Word
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

TOC Tips and Tricks
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

Customizing your table of contents with switches
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

hi suzanne,

i am not quite sure what you meant by "named style so that you can
pick it up for the TOC if desired" but i'll do it anyway since you told me
to do it, presumably this naming will have a purpose later on i.e. with an
eye towards generating TOC.

you are right in that earlier i was about to state that hopefully all being
well the next time i would be asking some more questions is when i would
(undoubtedly) come unstuck generating table of content, figures and tables as
well as index but i decided to leave it in case i am tempting fate.

i think it would be about two/three more weeks worth of writing before i get
to the generating TOC stage but i appreciate your links - would be my
homework/bedtime reading.

thanks also for advice about using None in the Bullets and Numbering to get
rid of them.

till later,
jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

In Word 2002 and 2003, unless you have disabled "Keep track of formatting,"
whenever you apply direct formatting to a paragraph, Word appends this
information to the name of the style in use. Although it appears that it is
creating a new style (and for all I know it may actually be possible to use
these "styles" for TOC purposes), this is really just "formatting," and if
you disable "Keep track of formatting," you'll still see just Body Text
regardless of what formatting you've added. But if you apply the Body Text
style to another paragraph, you'll get the default style formatting, without
the direct formatting you added. You need to create a true style (you could
call it "Main Heading" or "Front Matter Heading" or whatever else seems
appropriate) to apply to these paragraphs.

In any case, you don't necessarily want to start with the Body Text style in
creating a heading. You might want to base the style on Normal or "(no
style)." Where "Body Text" comes in is in the outline level of the style.
The built-in heading styles have outline levels assigned--Level 1 for
Heading 1, Level 2 for Heading 2, etc. So when you generate a TOC, Word
automatically picks up these styles and puts them in the TOC, each with the
corresponding TOC style. Most other styles have an outline level of "Body
Text" (you can see the level at the top right corner of the Format |
Paragraph dialog), which means that they won't automatically be included in
the TOC (though you can include them if you want to), and if you want to
keep something OUT of the TOC, you demote its outline level to Body Text so
it doesn't show up automatically.

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser xppuser is offline

hi suzanne,

ok, i see it now the reasoning behind the creating the new style. i'll do
that.

thanks for your help,
jes