Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BigDaddyCool BigDaddyCool is offline

Default Getting the correct indentation.

In my document I've got the following text on one line (in Times New Roman
12-pt):

2.1. What is the name of the...

and on the next line I want an "a" directly under the W and lined up
perfectly. When I move the little indentation thingy on the ruler, it can
move the "a" either a little too much to the left (so that it's below " W")
or a little too much to the right (so that it's below "Wh"). How can I fix
this? I know that if I use a monospace font like Courier New, it works fine,
but Courier New is not a very professional font. How can I do this with Times
New Roman 12?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you typing the "2.1" number in? If so, set a hanging indent for
the paragraph in Format | Paragraph: For "Indentation," choose
"Hanging" at "Special" and specify the desired value in the "By" box.
After the number, press Tab to move the text to the correct position.

For the following paragraph, set a left indent to match the hanging
indent of the numbered paragraph.

If you are using paragraph numbering, set the desired indent in the
Customize Outline Numbered List dialog box. (See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...umbering.html). Then
set the appropriate left indent for the following un-numbered
paragraph.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"BigDaddyCool" wrote in message
In my document I've got the following text on one line (in Times New

Roman
12-pt):

2.1. What is the name of the...

and on the next line I want an "a" directly under the W and lined up
perfectly. When I move the little indentation thingy on the ruler,

it can
move the "a" either a little too much to the left (so that it's

below " W")
or a little too much to the right (so that it's below "Wh"). How can

I fix
this? I know that if I use a monospace font like Courier New, it

works fine,
but Courier New is not a very professional font. How can I do this

with Times
New Roman 12?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Stefan has given you the way to set it up, but for a one-off, if you press
and hold Alt while you drag the 'indentation thingy' (and most anything else
in Word) you will get infinite adjustment.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Good point.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tony Jollans" wrote in message
[...]

Word 2003 table indentation problem Cooz Tables 2 March 17th 06 11:56 AM
Word 2003 table indentation problem Cooz Formatting Long Documents 2 March 17th 06 11:56 AM
Saving auto correct and quick correct entries on a disk deissmom Microsoft Word Help 2 September 4th 05 05:43 AM
auto correct? ginny1956 New Users 5 July 28th 05 04:24 PM
Auto Correct Function in Word Jim Microsoft Word Help 3 February 16th 05 03:58 PM