Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

Default Weird Opening Document

Using Windows XP and Office 2007

I just received a Word 2003 document as an email attachment. When I opened
the attachment, it launched Word 2003 on my system. Although Office 2003
still resides on my system, I am using Office 2007. I have received 2003
Word documents as email attachments before, and when I open the attachment
it always launches Word 2007.

Any idea what would cause an email attachment to launch Word 2003 this
time???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

My guess: Because the file extension was .doc and the default file format in
Word 2007 is .docx

Daddy

"BK" wrote in message
Using Windows XP and Office 2007

I just received a Word 2003 document as an email attachment. When I
opened the attachment, it launched Word 2003 on my system. Although
Office 2003 still resides on my system, I am using Office 2007. I have
received 2003 Word documents as email attachments before, and when I open
the attachment it always launches Word 2007.

Any idea what would cause an email attachment to launch Word 2003 this
time???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It is not really a good idea to directly open documents as attachments to
email messages. Better to first save the attachment and then open it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"BK" wrote in message
Using Windows XP and Office 2007

I just received a Word 2003 document as an email attachment. When I
opened the attachment, it launched Word 2003 on my system. Although
Office 2003 still resides on my system, I am using Office 2007. I
have received 2003 Word documents as email attachments before, and when
I open the attachment it always launches Word 2007.

Any idea what would cause an email attachment to launch Word 2003 this
time???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

I can certainly do a "save" before opening if that's safer. Just don't
understand why saving it first makes it safer to open.

"BK" wrote in message
Using Windows XP and Office 2007

I just received a Word 2003 document as an email attachment. When I
opened the attachment, it launched Word 2003 on my system. Although
Office 2003 still resides on my system, I am using Office 2007. I
have received 2003 Word documents as email attachments before, and when
I open the attachment it always launches Word 2007.

Any idea what would cause an email attachment to launch Word 2003 this
time???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, one trap that it will help you avoid is going ahead and editing a
document and then saving it thinking that you have saved the changes only to
later discover that you were working on a document that was opened from a
temporary location and when you close it, the "changed" file is deleted.

--

"BK" wrote in message
Using Windows XP and Office 2007

I just received a Word 2003 document as an email attachment. When I
opened the attachment, it launched Word 2003 on my system. Although
Office 2003 still resides on my system, I am using Office 2007. I
have received 2003 Word documents as email attachments before, and
when I open the attachment it always launches Word 2007.

Any idea what would cause an email attachment to launch Word 2003 this
time???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While I agree with Doug about not opening e-mail attachments directly, have
you made the registry changes that would allow Word 2003 and 2007 to
peacefully co-exist? If not Word 2003 will grab back its file associations.
The two versions will be in constant conflict. See
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

"BK" wrote in message
Using Windows XP and Office 2007

I just received a Word 2003 document as an email attachment. When I
opened the attachment, it launched Word 2003 on my system. Although
Office 2003 still resides on my system, I am using Office 2007. I
have received 2003 Word documents as email attachments before, and when
I open the attachment it always launches Word 2007.

Any idea what would cause an email attachment to launch Word 2003 this
time???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Also note that whichever version was opened last will be the one that starts
with a double click on a file.

Pam

Graham Mayor wrote:
While I agree with Doug about not opening e-mail attachments directly, have
you made the registry changes that would allow Word 2003 and 2007 to
peacefully co-exist? If not Word 2003 will grab back its file associations.
The two versions will be in constant conflict. See
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

But I have opened other .doc email attachments that do not launch Word
2003.

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]