Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PSULionRP PSULionRP is offline

Default Auto Numbering assumed

Is there a quick short-cut that I can try and back-up to an auto number???

Here's what I mean. I am typing a list. I enter the following information...

2.1.3.1 Information
2.1.3.1.1 Blah Blah Blah ENTER
2.1.3.1.2 Blah Blah Blah ENTER
2.1.3.1.3 (Auto Numbering is assuming a 2.1.3.1.3 item and I am
done there...I tried backspacing so that it would incrementally count to the
previous level...2.1.4 but it just gets rid of anything. Is there any
short-cut so that I can then go back a sub-section??? Or do I have to
manually type 2.1.4???)

Thanks in advance for your help.

PSULionRP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"PSULionRP" wrote:

Is there a quick short-cut that I can try and back-up to an auto number???

Here's what I mean. I am typing a list. I enter the following information...

2.1.3.1 Information
2.1.3.1.1 Blah Blah Blah ENTER
2.1.3.1.2 Blah Blah Blah ENTER
2.1.3.1.3 (Auto Numbering is assuming a 2.1.3.1.3 item and I am
done there...I tried backspacing so that it would incrementally count to the
previous level...2.1.4 but it just gets rid of anything. Is there any
short-cut so that I can then go back a sub-section??? Or do I have to
manually type 2.1.4???)

Assuming that your numbering scheme is built using propers styles and
outline numbring, SHIFT-Tab would do what you want (TAB would do the
opposite).
If it does not, then make sure that you have Tools AutoCorrect Options..
AutoFormat As You Type tab Set left- and first-indent with tabs and
backspaces.

It is misleading because the Backspace works only with Indents, not the
level numbering itself.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"grammatim" wrote:

Ctrl-Z usually works.

CTRL-Z will not decrease a pargraph outline level to the previous outline
level, unless you have custmized CTRL-Z, which is normally assigned to Undo.

CTRL-Z can remove a numbering that Word inesrts automatically when it
assumes you want a bulleted or numbered list, but in fact you do not. But
that is a different story and unrelated to the OP question.

auto numbering RPMitchal Microsoft Word Help 9 May 14th 07 03:17 PM
Auto Numbering in TOC Mares Tables 2 April 17th 07 02:34 PM
Auto Numbering RPMitchal Microsoft Word Help 2 March 28th 07 01:22 AM
How do I turn off auto numbering or auto hyperlink? gogo Microsoft Word Help 2 October 26th 06 10:05 AM
Manual numbering to auto (outline) numbering Cindy M -WordMVP- Microsoft Word Help 0 May 4th 06 10:27 AM