Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JFK

Default Label printing

I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using Word 2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats for my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer as though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which I set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the middle of the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I'd suggest making sure that both your printer and Word are set up for that
size document. (I know that same problem can occur with Publisher if both
aren't set up with the same page size.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using Word 2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats for my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer as
though I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which I set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the middle of
the printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JFK

How do I set up my printer for this? I have made labels in the past and
there was no problem but I just started doing my xmas list and it just won't
work. Prior to this year it worked fine. I do automatic updates for my Word
and I am wondering if something was adjusted that is what is causing the
error.

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using Word 2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats for my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer as
though I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which I set
as my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the middle
of the printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

File - Print - Properties - go from there. A friend of mine has the ability
to so her setup on her all in one printer/scanner so it differs depending on
your printer.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using Word 2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats for my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer as
though I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which I set
as my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the middle
of the printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

JFK

There are two templates for the size of label.. the difference is the amount
of labels per sheet.. one template has two columns of labels, the other has
just one column.. I would imagine that you have set the template that has
only one column, which is why it would appear to be printing in the middle
of the two columns maybe..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using Word 2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats for my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer as
though I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which I set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the middle of
the printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JFK

The printer will not print unless the labels are placed all the way to the
right edge. I tried putting the labels in the middle and all it says is
printer out of paper.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I suspect you'll need to feed the labels in the center, which is where the
printer evidently expects to find them.

so
all may benefit.

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using Word 2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats for my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer as

though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which I set
as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the middle of

the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

You have to be using the wrong sized sheets for the template..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats for my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer as

though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which I set
as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the middle of

the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JFK

I have used these same sheets for 2 years but this time they just aren't
working. They have worked in the past but was doing a xmas address list with
the same database and labels but this time it just won't work. I might have
added some patch from Microsoft 2 yrs ago for this problem but don't
remember. I thought maybe the automatic updates knocked the function of the
patch out of whack. Just can't figure it out.

"JFK" wrote in message
The printer will not print unless the labels are placed all the way to
the right edge. I tried putting the labels in the middle and all it says
is printer out of paper.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I suspect you'll need to feed the labels in the center, which is where
the
printer evidently expects to find them.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats for my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which I set
as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the middle of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Are you sure that you are using the correct template?.. and does your Avery
sheet number start with the #2?

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats for my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which I
set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the middle
of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JFK

No it starts with 4 and it is the same template I have always used. I think
I am going to buy some software specifically for label printing and see what
happens.

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats for
my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which I
set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the middle
of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

No need to buy..

Avery supply a version of Avery DesignPro (not a huge amount of graphics and
fonts supplied) for free on their website..

http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=...twarecode=3200

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats for
my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer
as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which I
set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the middle
of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Word 2003 does not list any Avery laser/inkjet labels with stock numbers
beginning with 4. Perhaps your labels are intended for a typewriter? If the
labels are a single-column, then chances are they're a "mini" sheet, and you
should be looking for a label definition containing that term. But I don't
see any that are 2.5" x 4.5".

Where I do see label stock numbers beginning with 4 is in the "Dot matrix"
category, though I still don't see any the size you mention.

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using

Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats for
my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer

as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which I
set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the

middle
of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JFK

There is in Works for injet 4013 which I have used for the last 2 years
without a problem. This is the first year I am experiencing this problem.
In fact I usually made my own return labels with no problem but again I sat
down the other night to do my xmas list and almost went crazy. I might have
downloaded a patch for this label I don't remember.

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using

Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats
for
my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer

as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which
set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the

middle
of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Suzanne

The only Avery labels that I have come across with the prefix #4 are for dot
matrix printers..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using

Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats
for
my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer

as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which
set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the

middle
of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Do your labels have tractor feed holes on them by any chance?

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using
Word 2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats
for my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the printer
as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which
I set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the
middle of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

The Avery 4013 is a pin-fed label that is 3-1/2" x 15/16" and is in a
quantity of 5000. Perhaps this is why nothing you're doing is working. Most
of us don't need 5000 labels in a lifetime.

I'd suggest you double check the number on the Avery package. Also,
sometimes, I put various labels inside a single pack. Maybe you've got your
labels in the wrong pack.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using

Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats
for
my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the
printer

as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label which
set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the

middle
of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

As I stated.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using

Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats
for
my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the

printer
as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label

which
set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the

middle
of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Ya did too.. :-)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using
Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats
for
my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the

printer
as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label

which
set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the
middle
of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JFK

True they are the old labels and we use them for our office and use approx.
1500 for a list. It is dot matrix but they have worked without the pins. I
used to place them all the way to the right and it fed right into the
machine. As I stated, they had worked for the past 2 yrs on my HP with Word
3000 and prior to that with a Canon. The office has about 40 boxes of the
labels left and I guess we will try to use them until they are gone.(unless
I cannot get them to work again and then they will go into the garbage and I
will put in a requisition for new ones )

"JFK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

JFK

I just took a look at the price of dot matrix printers made by OKI and
Panasonic, thinking that it might be a good way to use your labels.. from
what I saw, it would be cheaper to dump the labels and get new stock..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JFK" wrote in message
The printer will not print unless the labels are placed all the
way
the right edge. I tried putting the labels in the middle and
all
it
says is printer out of paper.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I suspect you'll need to feed the labels in the center, which
is
where
the
printer evidently expects to find them.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JFK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

Not only are dot matrix printers slow, noisy, and expensive,
but ribbons for same are almost imposible to find in stores.

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using
Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats
for
my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the
printer
as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label
which
set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the
middle
of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Joe

One might have to order ribbons specially, but make no mistake, there are
some jobs, especially high speed bulk printing like electricity or telephone
company accounts, where a good dot matrix printer is the only way to go..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JFK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

Mike,

Before retiring several years ago, I was the senior Information Technology
(all mainframes) capacity planning analyst for a Fortune 75 electric utility holding
(Georgia Power, Alabama Power, etc.) company in the southeast. We printed
3.2 million utility bills a month, and all were printed on massive, state-of-the-art
high speed IBM laser printers. BellSouth used the same printers we did. A dot
matrix printer wouldn't last a day in such a demanding print environment.

It's a given that dot matrix printers have a role in today's small businesses,
primarily where multiple copies of invoices are needed. However, I'd never
equate dot matrix printers with "bulk printing" and "high speed printing."

After retiring, I thought it would be "cool" to sell computers/printers at
CompUSA as a diversion from retirement. While in the store's Business Unit,
I had an opportunity to learn from customers. Most had migrated to inkjet
and laser printers. Very rarely, someone would come in seeking a dot
matrix printer ribbon. They were from very small businesses who depended
on multiple copies to operate their company. Most companies use databases
and have networked PCs, so they no longer need a copy of forms for each
department such as shipping, sales, and accounting. Dot matrix printers
are on the way out. It will take a few more years but they'll disappear.

Uncle Joe

"JFK" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge and print address labels. I am using
Word
2003
and an HP 2100 series ink jet printer. I set up all the stats
for
my
labels but when they print they print in the middle of the
printer
as
though
I were using letter sized paper (8 1/2 x 11)
My lables are 4.5 x 2.5 and they are an Avery address label
which
set as
my label. No matter what I try, the labels still print in the
middle
of
the
printer (or page) and not on the label.
Can anyone help??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Give them to the employees to use for labeling the stuff in their attics and
basements. Time to move on. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JFK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JFK

Used a program called Label Maker on my HP inkjet and they worked perfectly.
Have never owned a dot matrix printer but have used these labels for 5 years
now. He still has about 15 boxes left so will be using them until they are
gone. But now that they work there is no problem.
Thanks all.