Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Redapples

Default Update field and macro security

I have completed a form and have input fields for amounts which I would like
to total. The formula field that does this requires an update to run the
formula. I inserted a macro to run on exit of any of the amount input fields.
Code:
Sub update

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

End sub
This works fine at my machine. However when I distribute it I get an error
due to the security settings on client machines on the network. I dont want
to remove the security or reduce the level - I'm not sure users can be relied
upon to only allow macros from trusted sources (whatever that is) and I also
would prefer a seamless update that does not rely on users input.

Am I stuffed or is there a work around? Signing project e.g. ?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You have no control over whether a user will enable the macros in your
document - nor should you have as this would open the door to malicious
code. The way to achieve what you want is to supply the macros in a global
template that all the users have access to.