Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
aval

Default Disk is full-too many files open” error message

Hello all,

I’m trying to resolve an issue where the student encounters the “Disk
is full or too many files are open” error message when attempting to
save her document.

We are running Windows 2000 SP4, and the version of Office is 2000
SP3.

The user is trying to fill a “three column three row” sheet with
images, some edited in Photoshop, that are to be printed and used as
stickers.

Other users, doing apparently the same thing, do not trigger the same
error message.

I say “apparently” because I am writing this on behalf of the student’s
teacher who says they are all doing the same thing. I have not observed
each student individually to confirm that.

At first, the student was trying to save to her server folder on the
network. The volume in question has 140 GB free space. Only two
instances of Word were open at the time. The problem persisted even
when I closed one. It was not possible to save to the C: drive either
(despite 30+ GB free space).

When trying to save I also encountered this message at one point:

“Word was unable to write some of the embedded objects due to
insufficient memory or disk space”.

Yet, task manager show only 195 MB being used (out of 256 MB
available).

Clearing clipboard did not resolve issue.

I finally managed saving in RTF, although that seemed to change
alignement somewhat.

I resolved the problem (for now) by copying document content; closing
Word, opening it again, and then pasting it back in.

This article (actually about the the MAC version of Word) seems to
suggest that the problem is due to a bug in the undo function:

http://blogs.msdn.com/rick_schaut/ar...19/135315.aspx

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If it is indeed a problem
with the undo function, is there a way you can clear the “backup”
copies without having to close Word?

Thank you in advance,

Aval

--
aval
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz

You might want to have a look at the following;

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ientMemory.htm

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac