leedelee

Default Split a mail merge document into individual documents

How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into individual
documents to save each letter in a separate place?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Split a mail merge document into individual documents

To split a mail merge document into individual documents, follow these steps:
  1. Open the mail merge document in Microsoft Word.
  2. Click on the "Mailings" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on "Finish & Merge" and then select "Edit Individual Documents" from the dropdown menu.
  4. In the "Merge to New Document" dialog box, select "All" under "Records" and then click "OK".
  5. This will create a new document with all the merged letters in it.
  6. To save each letter as a separate document, go to the "File" tab and click "Save As".
  7. In the "Save As" dialog box, choose a location to save the files and give them a name.
  8. In the "Save as type" dropdown menu, select "Word Document (*.docx)".
  9. Click "Save" and the document will be saved as a separate file.

You can repeat steps 6-9 for each letter in the merged document to save them all as separate files.
__________________
Graham Mayor

See http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Shelly Faye

Thank you for your "splitmergeletter" macro - it really helps - except for
one thing - formatting is coorect when I merge to new doc - it changes the
font only when I execute your macro??!!

Why?

The original letter is in Arial, the resulting letters are in Arial, the
split letters are in Times New Roman - and as there is a specific look on the
page - eg letterhead also in Arial, we want to preserve the original look.

Thank you for your help.

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

In place of the

Documents.Add

command in the macro, use

Documents.Add Template:="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office" _
& "\Templates\Memos\Professional Memo.dot"replacing 'C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office" _
& "\Templates\Memos\Professional Memo.dot"

With the name of the template used to create the mail merge main document.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Shelly Faye

I've hit another glitch - everything works great - the font is behaving
properly, the file names that are being saved are perfect - only one problem
- after running the SplitMergeLetter macro, no matter what I do to the bottom
of the merge letter original, the created file has a printing blank page at
the end, with only a paragraph symbol on it.

At the very end of my original merge document, there is only one paragraph
mark that cannot be removed, and the large document that results from the
merge has no blank pages, only a section break after the last character on
each page, only after I split the letters does the blank page show up.

Can anyone help?

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Using this macro should overcome that problem:

Sub splitter()
' splitter Macro
' Macro created by Doug Robbins to save each letter created by a mailmerge
' as a separate file, retaining the header and footer information.
Dim i As Long, Source As Document, Target As Document, Letter As Range
Set Source = ActiveDocument
For i = 1 To Source.Sections.Count
Set Letter = Source.Sections(i).Range
Set Target = Documents.Add
Target.Range = Letter
Target.Sections(2).PageSetup.SectionStart = wdSectionContinuous
Target.SaveAs FileName:="Letter" & i
Target.Close
Next i
End Sub

It changes the section break at the end of each letter to a continuous
section break.
--

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Richard M 2006 Richard M 2006 is offline

Hello Doug,
Where do I go to open and edit the macro to change the command. Tools,
macro, macros lets me see your macro, but the edit button is greyed out OR
the error says the project cannot be viewed.
Thanks,
Richard

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I assume that you are talking about the addin downloaded from Graham's site.
With Word not running, move the file from the Word Startup folder into your
Templates folder and then use FileOpen in Word to open that file. After
modifying it, you will then need to save it and move it back into the
Startup folder and restart Word.

--

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
aelewis aelewis is offline

Is it possible to split a merge document that has several section breaks
within one letter? For example, each individual letter has 2 - 5 section
breaks and then the Section Break (Next Page) ends that letter and begins the
next one.

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Yes with the proviso that while the number of sections may vary from mail
merge main document to mail merge main document, there would need to be a
constant number of sections for the one mail merge main document. That is,
if by the use of an If...then...Else construction in the mailmerge main
document you were inserting section breaks, then it would not be possible,
or at least would be very difficult to do it via mail merge - A
"roll-your-own" VBA equivalent to Mail Merge would be a better way of
handling that situation.

--

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
aelewis aelewis is offline

Thank you for the information! This document is using If...then...Else
statements to insert the breaks.

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kirstin Kirstin is offline

I was so happy when I found this macro of Grahams. It sounds like it will do
exactly what I need. Unfortuantely, when I run it I get the following error:

Run-time error 4608: Value out of range.

I'm exporting a dbase file from Access 03. In the query I've added the
Folder/File Name field:

Folder: "\\cee-data\conference forms\" & [GradYear] & "\" & [FirstLast] &
"\" & [Enter Year]

The macro runs; I tell it to split and then I get the error. I click OK on
the error window and a single merged document opens. What could be wrong?
Is it because I have spaces in my folder names? The file names in the sample
have spaces, but maybe that doesn't translate to folder names.

Any help would be most appreciated.

TIA~
--
Kirstin McDonald
ITC

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What is typically displayed by the Folder: "\\cee-data\conference forms\" &
[GradYear] & "\" & [FirstLast] &
"\" & [Enter Year] field in your query?

If you create a macro containing the code

FileSaveAs "what is displayed in as asked above"

and run it with any document active (a blank one will do), does it save the
document correctly or do you get the same error message.

I think that the \\ may be causing a problem.

--

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kirstin Kirstin is offline

I've tried multiple formats:

\\cee-data\share\conference forms\2010\Kate Adams\2007 Narrative
S:\conference forms\2010\Kate Adams\2007 Narrative
\conference forms\2010\Kate Adams\2007 Narrative
conference forms\2010\Kate Adams\2007 Narrative

I've tried creating a new merge doc without using the individual folder
option and still get the error message. I'm stumped and running out of time.

--
Kirstin McDonald
ITC

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you are getting an error message when you are not trying to create
individual documents, then the problem would appear to be with something
else.

If you want to send me the mail merge main document and the data source, I
will create the letters for you and send them back.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

&

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kirstin Kirstin is offline

Hi Doug,

Thank you for offering to take a look. I'll email the two files under
seperate cover.
--
Kirstin McDonald
ITC

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kirstin Kirstin is offline

Doug took a look at my template and found that I had somehow created
sections. He deleted them and now everything works like a charm! Thanks so
much, Doug, for taking the time. Really appreciate it!!!!
--
Kirstin McDonald
ITC

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
non-techie solutions non-techie solutions is offline

There is actually a much easier route you can go that uploading an add-in.
See simple instructions below. You just need to replace the section breaks
with page breaks and viola!

1) Go to Find/Replace
2) Click on More
3) Click €œSpecial€
4) Find €œSection Break€
5) Replace with €œManual page break€ and click ok

Now youll be able to save/print whichever pages you want.

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

To print individual documents, you do not even have to do that, just specify
the Sections of the document that you want to print in the File Print
dialog.

However, that is NOT a solution to what was originally desired, which was to
create a separate document for each record in the data source.

Sometimes non-techie solutions just don't cut it.

--

wrote in message ...
There is actually a much easier route you can go that uploading an add-in.
See simple instructions below. You just need to replace the section breaks
with page breaks and viola!

1) Go to Find/Replace
2) Click on More
3) Click "Special"
4) Find "Section Break"
5) Replace with "Manual page break" and click ok

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

What is typically displayed by the Folder: "\\cee-data\conference
forms\"
&
[GradYear] & "\" & [FirstLast] &
"\" & [Enter Year] field in your query?

If you create a macro containing the code

FileSaveAs "what is displayed in as asked above"

and run it with any document active (a blank one will do), does it
save
the
document correctly or do you get the same error message.

I think that the \\ may be causing a problem.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jen Jen is offline

Hi,

I have downloaded the macro to enable me to split my mail merge document but
the macro appears not to run when i complete the mail merge and when i press
ok, nothing happens and it continues to run the mail merge as normal.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks, Jen

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Which macro? From your description it seems you may mean the add-in at
http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm
Have you followed the instructions to the letter? Is the add-in stored in
the correct folder? Have you started Word from the start menu and not from a
document?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

If you are getting an error message when you are not trying to
create individual documents, then the problem would appear to be
with something
else.

If you want to send me the mail merge main document and the data
source, I
will create the letters for you and send them back.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself
of my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up
into individual documents to save each letter in a separate
place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Samy Samy is offline

Hi
I am not very technically inclined but I can generally help myself but I am
currently stumped. I have tried to make the change to the macro as described
below and I keep getting a message that the project is unviewable. I am
using Office 2007. The add-in works very well but instead of a single page
document I have three pages. Please help...

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You will need to use FileOpen, and then navigate to the Word Startup folder
and open the template that contains the code. Then while you have the
template open, you will be able to access the code in it to make the change.

--

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
User User is offline

I installed your add-in (for 2007) earlier this week and it worked like a
charm. But, when I tried to use it again today, it completed the merge as
normal, without splitting the documents. I opened Word before Outlook and
used the Start menu to do so. I even tried reinstalling the add-in to make
sure it is the most current version (in case it was updated in the past 3
days). None of that fixed the problem. The database is an Excel spreadsheet.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up
into individual documents to save each letter in a separate
place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The mail merge function can be fussy if you choose a selection of records -
and particularly if you don't choose the first record. Does it work if you
merge all the records.

If you close Word and Outlook, are there any ghost versions of Winword.exe
left running (CTRL+ALT+DEL Processes). If there are close them before
trying again.

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up
into individual documents to save each letter in a separate
place?

LC2 LC2 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedelee View Post
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into individual
documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Hello. I found your Mail Merge Split Document macro and I was testing it with a rather large mail merge (using Office 2010). I noticed something that I wanted to change and I did a Ctrl + Break and 'Ended' the macro. I changed the spacing of the merge document and saved as the default for only that document (not to normal.dotm). I tried running the macro again and now a window appears that is labeled, 'Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications - MMtoDocs(2010) Ver 2.2 [break].

I have tried recreating the default template for MS Word, normal.dotm and that didn't work. I imagine that the change I made to the document affected the macro. I get the VBA window with any mail merge letter that I try running the macro with. If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I must add that it was working great until I created this problem!
b.sweet b.sweet is offline
Junior Member

Following the instructions immediately following I'm being asked for a password. I would appreciate having that shared with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Robbins - Word MVP View Post

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

b.sweet b.sweet is offline
Junior Member

I adjusted how I was using tabs in my merge template and no longer need to adjust the code. Thank you to Doug and Graham for their posting in this forum and others. Looks like I have just saved my team tremendous time every day copying data from Access to Word for creating individual faxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.sweet View Post