Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
M. P. M. P. is offline

Default Do I have to use the compatibility pack to work with 1997 Word?

I have lots of files in my 1997 Microsoft Word program. Must I download the
compatability pack to work interchangebly with it and the new 2007 version I
have bought? The online instructions only refer to 2000-2006 versions, and
not the 1997 version, which came with my computer.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

AIUI, the Compatibility Pack will not allow you to open Word 2007 files in
Word 97. You will need to save them from Word 2097 in Word 97-2003 format.

http://word.mvps.org

"M. P." M. wrote in message
I have lots of files in my 1997 Microsoft Word program. Must I download
the
compatability pack to work interchangebly with it and the new 2007 version
have bought? The online instructions only refer to 2000-2006 versions,
and
not the 1997 version, which came with my computer.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On the machine on which you are running 2007, you will not need to do
anything to be able to open files created with 97. To be able to open files
created/modified on the 2007 machine, on a machine running 97, you will need
to make sure that they are saved in Word 97 - 2003 format.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"M. P." M. wrote in message
I have lots of files in my 1997 Microsoft Word program. Must I download
the
compatability pack to work interchangebly with it and the new 2007 version
have bought? The online instructions only refer to 2000-2006 versions,
and
not the 1997 version, which came with my computer.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"M. P." M. wrote in message
I have lots of files in my 1997 Microsoft Word program. Must I download
the
compatability pack to work interchangebly with it and the new 2007 version
have bought? The online instructions only refer to 2000-2006 versions,
and
not the 1997 version, which came with my computer.

I notice you use the word "computer" in the singular. If that is the case,
and Office 97 came preinstalled, then it probably won't run Office 2007
anyway unless it has been upgraded in a major way...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level