Robert Judge

Default "Insert Merge fields" button is inactive

In Word 2003, I am trying to convert a letter into a document that I can use
for a mail merge. On the toolbar, the "insert Word field" button is active.
However, the button to its left, the "insert merge fields" button is
greyed-out or inactive.

I want to insert address merge fields into this doucment. How can I make
the "insert merge fields" button light up so I can use it?
Graham Mayor

Attach the data file. See

Robert Judge wrote:
In Word 2003, I am trying to convert a letter into a document that I
can use for a mail merge. On the toolbar, the "insert Word field"
button is active. However, the button to its left, the "insert merge
fields" button is greyed-out or inactive.

I want to insert address merge fields into this document. How can I
make the "insert merge fields" button light up so I can use it?

Anne Troy

Is the file connected to a data source? Perhaps you've got the mail merge
toolbar up, but you never created a "mail merge document" using
Tools--Letters and Mailings...
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com