R Kuehn

Default Word 2002 Comment Formatting

Hello,

Is it possible to get text that has been commented to show up as
highlighted text instead of just surrounded by colored brackets? It seems
that this feature was available in Word 2000 and also Word 2003. I have
looked just about everywhere for an answer so far have not found anything.
Thanks.

R. Kuehn
Shauna Kelly

Hi

Unfortunately, no. In Word 2002, Microsoft decided to display commented text
with only the little brackets, but opinion persuaded them to change back to
highlighting for Word 2003.

By the way, beware making a comment without selecting a whole word or
sentence. If you just click and make a comment in Word 2002, you can barely
see the brackets at all!

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"R Kuehn" wrote in message
. 83...
Hello,

Is it possible to get text that has been commented to show up as
highlighted text instead of just surrounded by colored brackets? It seems
that this feature was available in Word 2000 and also Word 2003. I have
looked just about everywhere for an answer so far have not found anything.
Thanks.

R. Kuehn

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi R,

Is it possible to get text that has been commented to show up as
highlighted text instead of just surrounded by colored brackets?

you can use a macro, such as the one below:

Option Explicit

Private Const highlightColor As Long = wdBrightGreen
'Alternate values: wdPink, wdYellow, wdTurquoise
' wdGreen, wdBlue, wdRed, wdTeal, wdDarkRed, wdDarkYellow
' wdDarkBlue, wdGray25, wdGray50, wdViolet, wdBlack

Sub InsertAnnotation()
Dim rng As Word.Range
Dim cmt As Word.Comment

'Optional: prompt to enter the comment text
'Comment out the following 7 lines of code
'if you do not want to be prompted
Dim commentText As String
Dim msgPrompt As String
Dim msgTitle As String
commentText = ""
'Change the text in "quotes" to change the prompt
msgPrompt = "Enter the comment text"
'Change the text in "quotes" to change
'the title at the top of the box
msgTitle = "Comment text"
commentText = InputBox(msgPrompt, msgTitle)
If commentText = "" Then Exit Sub

'Set the highlight
HighlightSelection
Set rng = Selection.Range
'Create the comment
Set cmt = ActiveDocument.Comments.Add(rng, commentText)

'Optional: Display the Reviewing task pane
'Comment out the following 6 code lines if
'you do not want to force display of the task pane
'If there's more than one task pane, check if the second one
'is in Web View; if not, set the Revisions task pane
If ActiveWindow.Panes.Count 1 Then
If ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.Panes(2).View wdWebView
Then _
ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneRevisions
Else
'if there's only one pane for the document
'display the Revisions task pane
ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneRevisions
End If
End Sub

Sub HighlightSelection()

'Check whether the selection is only a blinking insertion point
'If it is, extend the range to include the entire word
'the IP is in, or the one to which it is directly adjacent
If Selection.Type = wdSelectionIP Then
'Comment out the following line if you want to retain
'a bracket only, and not highlight an entire word
'if there is no selection
Selection.Words(1).Select
End If

Selection.Range.HighlightColorIndex = highlightColor
End Sub

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8
2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Thure

If anyone from Microsoft reads this: Please change the in-text formatting of
comment back from those almost invisible small brackets to the old highly
visible highlighting? Or let us at least have a chance to choose for
ourselves.
I just got a new computer with this new version of word, and need to do a
lot of reviewing. But I can't even spot my own comments in the text!!!
Thanks for the macro, Cindy, do I just paste into a new vba window? does it
start automatically when I insert a comment?

"R Kuehn" wrote:

Hello,

Is it possible to get text that has been commented to show up as
highlighted text instead of just surrounded by colored brackets? It seems
that this feature was available in Word 2000 and also Word 2003. I have
looked just about everywhere for an answer so far have not found anything.
Thanks.

R. Kuehn

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?VGh1cmU=?=,

Thanks for the macro, Cindy, do I just paste into a new vba window? does it
start automatically when I insert a comment?

You'll find instructions on the word.mvps.org website on how to use macros you
get from a website. Watch out for text breaking at the end of lines, for
example.

Yes, in this particular case, it should execute when you use the
Insert/Comment command from the menu, or the Ctrl+M keyboard shortcut (if you
haven't reassigned it from the installation default)