Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yepp

Default ver. Word 2003, style bar won't go away

In Print view, Word 2003 displays a style bar along the left-hand side
that sometimes goes away, but reappears and overlaps the document. It
is not connected to the document, but rather a floating 1" style list.

How do I turn that off?

If I want to see the style bar, I use Normal view. I want Print view
to be just that - print view only.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yepp

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Tools | Options | View: Style area width: 0"

"yepp" wrote in message
oups.com...
In Print view, Word 2003 displays a style bar along the left-hand side
that sometimes goes away, but reappears and overlaps the document. It
is not connected to the document, but rather a floating 1" style list.

How do I turn that off?

If I want to see the style bar, I use Normal view. I want Print view
to be just that - print view only.

Suzanne,

It still stays there even when turned off.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are seeing this in Print Layout view, it is not the Style Area (which
is displayed only in Normal view). Possibly the Styles & Formatting task
pane? Or the Document Map?

"yepp" wrote in message
ups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Tools | Options | View: Style area width: 0"

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"yepp" wrote in message
oups.com...
In Print view, Word 2003 displays a style bar along the left-hand side
that sometimes goes away, but reappears and overlaps the document. It
is not connected to the document, but rather a floating 1" style list.

How do I turn that off?

If I want to see the style bar, I use Normal view. I want Print view
to be just that - print view only.

Suzanne,

It still stays there even when turned off.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yepp

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If you are seeing this in Print Layout view, it is not the Style Area (which
is displayed only in Normal view). Possibly the Styles & Formatting task
pane? Or the Document Map?

No, it is definitely not the Document Map or the task pane. It is the
style pane - the one you have to select with Tool | Options | Style
Area Width.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Well, there's definitely something wrong, then, as it's supposed to be
displayed only in Normal and Outline views.

Sounds to me as the OP is talking about the TaskPane?

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yepp

Robert M. Franz (RMF) wrote:
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Well, there's definitely something wrong, then, as it's supposed to be
displayed only in Normal and Outline views.

Sounds to me as the OP is talking about the TaskPane?

HTH
Robert

Hi Robert,

No, it is not the task pane. It is the style guide - the one you
would view in Normal view if you had selected to do so --

and I know something is wrong because it floats overtop of the margin
and into the text itself.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yepp

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Definitely something amiss. Do you have any add-ins loaded that might
generate this? Or could it be part of another document window?

--

We just upgraded to 2003 a couple weeks ago here at work, so nothing
new has been added that I am aware of in addition to Word

.... the document that I am working on is huge and slows my computer
down. Also everything seems slower - documents freeze and "NOT
RESPONDING" messages come up more frequently.

I thought maybe this new version of Word is loaded with "new options"
or something that is slowing it down and causing this style bar to
appear where not wanted.

I can't get rid of this style bar and it bugs me. I went to Tools |
Options | Style area Width = 0 and it still is there.

Thanks for your assistance.