Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Default automating Chapter numbers

I am using Word 2002 in Windows XP and am in the process of preparing a new
edition of a book manuscript. In doing this I am changing the order of
several chapters. In the earlier Word manuscript, the chapters were
manually numbered (I title, II title2, etc.).

Is there a way to automate the chapter numbers - the way caption and figure
numbers are automated - so that they renumber themselves correctly
automatically rather than manually?

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes, you can apply auto numbering to the style used for the chapter title.
It's usually preferable to use one of Word's built-in heading styles for
this. For general principles of outline numbering (which I recommend using
even for a single heading level), see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

When you do this, consider the effects on the TOC (if you will have one); if
you're using a single paragraph for the chapter number and title, there is
no problem, but if you decide to separate them, i.e.:

Chapter 1
Title of First Chapter

then you want to think about how this will be handled in the TOC; for this,
see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
I am using Word 2002 in Windows XP and am in the process of preparing a new
edition of a book manuscript. In doing this I am changing the order of
several chapters. In the earlier Word manuscript, the chapters were
manually numbered (I title, II title2, etc.).

Is there a way to automate the chapter numbers - the way caption and
figure numbers are automated - so that they renumber themselves correctly
automatically rather than manually?

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I hope you never have to find out. I intend to be immortal. g

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
I am using Word 2002 in Windows XP and am in the process of
preparing a new edition of a book manuscript. In doing this I am
changing the order of several chapters. In the earlier Word
manuscript, the chapters were manually numbered (I title, II title2,
etc.). Is there a way to automate the chapter numbers - the way caption
and
figure numbers are automated - so that they renumber themselves
correctly automatically rather than manually?

Thanks.

Jeff

Include Chapter numbers and page numbers in TOC Sandals Microsoft Word Help 3 February 13th 07 01:16 PM
Formatting chapter numbers Nahshon Evren Page Layout 5 January 30th 07 05:08 PM
table of contents page numbers without chapter numbers Bety at Keltec Microsoft Word Help 5 October 26th 06 12:48 AM
Chapter numbers natbr New Users 1 August 30th 05 09:06 PM
Using Chapter Numbers in TOC Brenda Rueter New Users 1 January 29th 05 12:43 AM