Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
D-Cam

Default Notepad to Word "copy/paste" formatting problem

I have a big document saved in notepad (.txt) where I've lined up all 5
collumns of information so it's easy to read. I've been using the document as
a database of information but I need to move it all over to Word now so that
I can password protect the information.

My problem is that when I copy the document and paste it into word, the tidy
column alignment dissapears. What I don't understand is that the column
character reading is still accurate... that is, each letter of the every
collumn is in the exact same "col", but to the eye, it looks mis-aligned. For
example, col 95 starts off the 3rd collumn of information, but in my second
row, even though it still reads col 95, it looks more like it would be col
75.

What is going on and how can I fix it? I Presentation of this material is
extremely important. I'm in a jam, it just looks very unprofessional as it
is.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Word uses a 'proportional' font by default where all the leters are not the
same width.

There are better ways of aligning text in Word documents but to see your
text as you wish, change the font to a Fixed Width one such as Courier New.

--
Enjoy,
Tony