Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Boldt Boldt is offline

Default Continous numbering across section breaks

I am typing a report in MS Word (office 2003)
the layout is quite simple but I had to divide the report into 5 sections
Section 1: table of content, list of figures, list of tables, etc. - this
section has page number from i to vi (roman figures)
Section 2, Section 3 and Section 4: the report. Page number 1 to 264 with a
footer format:"Page X of Y"
Section 5: Annexes - no page number (12 pages)
- Section 3 had to be introduced due to som big tables on A3 format paper,
the rest of the report is in A4 paperformat.

questions:
1) How do I format Y (in page X of Y) so it is only showing last page of
main report (section 4) not total number of report pages, not number of pages
in each section ?

2) Table and Figures are organised using Caption, where I want to use a
simple forward number from 1 to 25 (at the moment). How to change the number
format so the numbering do not start all over when a section break is
introduced in the middle of the report?

______________
have a nice day

Mikael Boldt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

M Boldt:

You can place a bookmark on the last page of the report and place a
reference field that refers to the bookmark's page number in your footer.

So for example, you'd type END in the last para of the report, select this
word, click Insert Bookmark, and name the bookmark EndPage.

In your footer you'd insert a cross-reference field, Insert
Cross-reference, select Bookmark as the Reference Type, select Page Number as
the Insert Reference To, and click OK.

Now that cross-reference gives you the page number of the last page of the
report. To quickly update the fields you can switch to Normal view, press
Ctrl+A then F9. Or just toggle into and out of Print Preview.

Word's default behavior is never to restart captions within a document. I.E.
inserting section breaks will not cause your caption numbers to restart.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Bear has answered your first question.

For the second question: If you included a heading number with your
captions, the SEQ fields will restart after each occurrence of the
corresponding heading style. Other than that, the field should only
restart if it is explicitly instructed to do so with an \r switch. What
is the field code (to show/hide field codes, press Alt+F9)?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Boldt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Boldt Boldt is offline

"Bear" wrote:

Word's default behaviour is never to restart captions within a document. I.E.
inserting section breaks will not cause your caption numbers to restart.

But This is what is happening, so then my settings are not default as I
thought they where. How do I make them default. Please on the counting, not
language because I am still trying to delete Danish Language - my native- and
US English - Bill Gate's native language. ;-)

PS. I like the solution to my first question.

kind regards
______________
have a nice day

Mikael Boldt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Boldt Boldt is offline

The field code is SEQ Table \* ARABIC
_____________
have a nice day

Mikael Boldt

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Bear has answered your first question.

For the second question: If you included a heading number with your
captions, the SEQ fields will restart after each occurrence of the
corresponding heading style. Other than that, the field should only
restart if it is explicitly instructed to do so with an \r switch. What
is the field code (to show/hide field codes, press Alt+F9)?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Boldt:

There is no magic or mystery in these fields that you cannot see. The only
thing that will make a SEQ field of this form restart is the restart switch.
This would look like:

{ SEQ Table \r 1 \* ARABIC }

If you haven't got this switch in one of the "restarting" caption numbers,
then it's not restarting. You may have failed to update the field. Try
selecting it and pressing F9. If you find a caption with the restart switch,
you can simply delete the switch.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Boldt Boldt is offline

Thank you

_____________
have a nice day

Mikael Boldt

"Bear" wrote:

Boldt:

There is no magic or mystery in these fields that you cannot see. The only
thing that will make a SEQ field of this form restart is the restart switch.
This would look like:

{ SEQ Table \r 1 \* ARABIC }

If you haven't got this switch in one of the "restarting" caption numbers,
then it's not restarting. You may have failed to update the field. Try
selecting it and pressing F9. If you find a caption with the restart switch,
you can simply delete the switch.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Or if the fields won't update, they might be locked. Right-click a
field; if the Update Field command is greyed out, then the field is
locked. To unlock all fields, select the whole document and then press
Ctrl+Shift+F11.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP