Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] threebs3bs@aol.com is offline

Default Word 2003 footer pane contains ghost words

I was just cleaning up a document and found an email address I needed
to change, but it only showed up in the "Footer Pane". The footer of
the page in question did not match what content in the footer pane.
Had I printed the file, the old email address likely would not have
been included, but I am baffled how content might hide somewhere
connected to a footer and only show up when a search for it made this
undocumented and relatively hidden pane pop up.

Anyone have a clue how this could be?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Every section of a Word document can have up to three footers: the primary
Footer, which is the only one to begin with, plus the First Page Footer if
you have enabled "Different first page" and the Even Page Footer if you have
enabled "Different odd and even" (the primary Footer then becomes the Odd
Page Footer). Once content is put in these footers in a given document, it
remains even if you later disable these options or even when a given section
contains only a single page.

In order to clear this content, note how the "footer pane" is labeled. Does
it say "Footer," "Even Page Footer," or "Odd Page Footer"?

1. If it says "Footer," then the likelihood is that your document has
"Different first page" enabled, and you have only a single page in the
document (or section). Add a page by inserting a page break (Ctrl+Enter),
delete or correct the Footer content, and then delete the page break.

2. If it says "Even Page Footer" or "Odd Page Footer," you'll need to
temporarily reenable "Different odd and even" (if it is disabled) and add
enough extra pages to force those footers to be displayed. Clear or correct
the content and then remove the page breaks and reset the options as
desired.

Note that in this particular instance the incorrect footer would probably
cause no harm (it would not print) because the footer it is in is currently
not in use in the document.

wrote in message
I was just cleaning up a document and found an email address I needed
to change, but it only showed up in the "Footer Pane". The footer of
the page in question did not match what content in the footer pane.
Had I printed the file, the old email address likely would not have
been included, but I am baffled how content might hide somewhere
connected to a footer and only show up when a search for it made this
undocumented and relatively hidden pane pop up.

Anyone have a clue how this could be?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
3Bs 3Bs is offline

On Oct 29, 3:55*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Thanks, very helpful.

Header Footer Pane Craig New Users 4 August 17th 06 09:50 AM
Task pane, Word 2003 Doesntlikepointlesschange Microsoft Word Help 2 April 25th 06 06:14 AM
I can not get rid of the document map pane in Word 2003. C Goebel Microsoft Word Help 1 November 18th 05 05:45 PM
Footnotes - Ghost words appearing above - XP Ailish Microsoft Word Help 1 September 20th 05 04:05 PM
Task Pane in Word 2003? Just trying to do my job Mailmerge 2 March 31st 05 05:43 PM