Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lauren

Default Is it possible to write protect 1/2 a document?

A colleage of mine wants to write-protect half a word document, and let the
other half not be write protected.

This is for an SOP document cotnaining standards in our company. We don't
want people to change the 'standard' part of the text, but we do want to
allow for specific entries to be added to the end of the document. We prefer
not to use form fields if we don't have to - many rows of entries may need to
be added to a table, and people are not very PC literate around here. We
don't want to have up to 300 users have to know a password either. Is there
a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Add section breaks as needed and protect specific sections for forms (they
don't have to contain any form fields) and leave other sections unprotected.
Be aware, however, that the forms protection on part of the document will
reduce functionality in the entire document. If you have Word 2003, there
are other forms of protection you can use, but if the document is opened in
an earlier version, the entire document will be protected.

"Lauren" wrote in message
A colleage of mine wants to write-protect half a word document, and let

the
other half not be write protected.

This is for an SOP document cotnaining standards in our company. We don't
want people to change the 'standard' part of the text, but we do want to
allow for specific entries to be added to the end of the document. We

prefer
not to use form fields if we don't have to - many rows of entries may need

be added to a table, and people are not very PC literate around here. We
don't want to have up to 300 users have to know a password either. Is

there
a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lauren

Thank you for the response. Is this functionality to protect sections
available in Word 2000?? That's the version we use here at work. This
functionality does not seem to be available in this version.

"Lauren" wrote in message
A colleage of mine wants to write-protect half a word document, and let

the
other half not be write protected.

This is for an SOP document cotnaining standards in our company. We don't
want people to change the 'standard' part of the text, but we do want to
allow for specific entries to be added to the end of the document. We

prefer
not to use form fields if we don't have to - many rows of entries may need

be added to a table, and people are not very PC literate around here. We
don't want to have up to 300 users have to know a password either. Is

there
a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's available in all versions AFAIK. In all versions, however, you must
have already inserted the section breaks before it is offered, and you have
to use Tools | Protect Document rather than the padlock button on the Forms
toolbar. Then when you choose to protect the document for forms, you'll be
offered a choice of sections to protect.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Add section breaks as needed and protect specific sections for forms

(they
don't have to contain any form fields) and leave other sections

unprotected.
Be aware, however, that the forms protection on part of the document

will
reduce functionality in the entire document. If you have Word 2003,

there
are other forms of protection you can use, but if the document is opened

in
an earlier version, the entire document will be protected.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.