Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gary T Gary T is offline

Default Template - Header & Footer

Hello

I'm creating a template in Word for our business.

When I create a section break, the original header and footer from page 1
both appear on the next page.

However, when I either:

1. create a page break; or
2. my text flows from one page to the next

neither the header nor the footer transfer onto the subsequent page in their
original form (see below).

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what I'm doing wrong?

Regards

Gary Thomson

In the header on page 1:

Business Name
Section

In the footer on page 1:

'Picture' (oak leaf)
'Page Number' / 'Total number of pages'

When I hit 'page break' or just when my text wraps onto the next page, the
following appears in the header and footer:

Header:

Nothing at all!

Footer:

'Page number'
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bear Bear is offline

Gary:

Each template or document has at least one section.

Each section defines (among other things) the header and footer content and
page number format and start value.

Each section can have either:

- A single header and footer for all pages or
- An odd page and an even page header and footer or
- A first page, odd page, and even page header and footer

The different kinds of header and footer are determined by settings on File
Page Setup Layout.

[It sounds like you have a two-sided layout defined, thus an odd and an even
page header and footer, but you haven't defined content for your even pages.]

Finally, if you don't have a certain page in a section, you don't see that
page header and footer. For example, if you define a document as having even
and odd pages, but it only has a single page, you won't see the content of
the even page header or footer in any view. Neither will you see it in the
Header and Footer toolbar. THAT MEANS that to see and edit the content for
missing pages, you have to insert dummy page breaks so each kind of page is
present in the document.

When trouble-shooting header and footer problems, a useful technique is to
systematically go to every section in the document and add two manual page
breaks at the beginning of the section to make sure you have a first, even,
and odd page in every section.

Bear

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Bear has summed up all the issues, but my initial impression was that you
might have "Different first page" enabled; when you begin a new section, you
get the First Page Header, but of course when the page breaks naturally (or
after a manual page break), you are getting the Header, which may be
different.