rray

Default Hidden text layering

Is there any way to set up Word 2003 with multiple layers of hidden text?
I'm currently using hidden text to insert comments within a master document.
These comments can be read and acted on by other users, but can be easily
turned off for printing the final document. I'd like to set up another layer
of hidden text, or use another feature if that's not possible, that would
permit the viewing of a either a short or long version of the same document,
still keeping the original hidden text comments w/o regard to the version
shown that is displayed and printed. Is this possible? If not with hidden
text, is there another fairly simple way to accomplish this? Thanks
Klaus Linke

Hi rray,

Not directly.

You probably don't need hidden text for the comments: You can decide to
print either the "document" or "document with markup" (= including comments
and tracked changes) in "File Print".

What you might also do is format the document with different paragraph
styles, and then run macros that make a certain set of styles hidden (say
the comment text style and some other styles):
ActiveDocument.Styles("MyStyle").Font.Hidden = True
or visible:
ActiveDocument.Styles("MyStyle").Font.Hidden = False

But if you do, you don't want to use manual hidden formatting on top,
because that'll get toggled or lost when you change the styles. And if you
want to use hidden character styles, beware that they also will be toggled
when used in a hidden paragraph style (hidden char style + hidden para style
= non-hidden text).

Maybe Greg Maxeys web site will give you additional ideas:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Toggle_Data_Display.htm

Regards,
Klaus