TeresaG

Default will office 97 work on windows xp?

garfield-n-odie

Office 97 does work with Windows XP, but some users report problems
installing Office 97 when Service Pack 2 for Windows XP is installed.
There are two ways around this problem:
1. You could uninstall WinXP SP2, install Office 97 and related service
packs, and reinstall WinXP SP2.
2. You could leave WinXP SP2 intact and do a custom installation of
Office 97 in which you set the Web Authoring Tools (HTML) to "not
available" in the setup options.

LuDean Marvin

Garfield-n-Odie,

I actually tried your first suggested solution to this problem, but did not
get the Web Authoring Tools in Word 97 to function properly. I noted that
you said that some people running WinXP sp2 were having this problem. Can
you steer me in the direction of these people, or where you heard this, so
I can see what they might have done to solve this malfunction? Do you have
any idea if this a Windows File Protection system gone awry? Thanks.

LuDean

"garfield-n-odie" wrote in message
Office 97 does work with Windows XP, but some users report problems
installing Office 97 when Service Pack 2 for Windows XP is installed.
There are two ways around this problem:
1. You could uninstall WinXP SP2, install Office 97 and related service
packs, and reinstall WinXP SP2.
2. You could leave WinXP SP2 intact and do a custom installation of
Office 97 in which you set the Web Authoring Tools (HTML) to "not
available" in the setup options.

garfield-n-odie

Several of the Web Authoring Tools will be "broken" when you apply
Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886299 "'Application is not
available' error messages when you try to insert some Web Tools in Word
2002 and Word 2003" for more information.

LuDean Marvin wrote:

[...]

LuDean Marvin

I guess it appears that this is not a Windows File Protection system issue
at all... but rather one of internet security. But I can be reasonably sure
that this problem did not crop up in Win XP sp2 in the case of Word 97's web
tools. When I rolled my system back to sp1, I was not able to get the web
tools and updates to install, just as in sp2. So sp2 is not the culprit in
and of itself. I noted that the KB article you listed does not relate
directly to Word 97. This might be too much to hope for, but do you know of
any info directly relating to Word 97? Thanks.

LuDean Marvin wrote:

[...]

garfield-n-odie

Microsoft extended support for Office 97 ended in January 2004, so there
probably won't be any more articles written for/about Office 97.

In your first post, you said "did not get the Web Authoring Tools in
Word 97 to function properly", which implies that the web tools were
installed but do not function as expected. Now you say "not able to get
the web tools and updates to install". Make up your mind... what is the
problem? I can't see your computer screen from here. You will have to
do a MUCH better job of describing what problems you're having. If you
get error messages during installation or updating, quote them EXACTLY
and COMPLETELY.