Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jason Saffer

Default How to cut and paste and still retain section heading numbers in a long document

Hi all,

I have a 100 page document divided into five sections. Each section has a
Level 3 heading and numerous sub-headings (Level 2 and Level 3). I need to
be able to send via e-mail parts of this document to others who are helping
write and edit it. But when I highlight a section of the document, and cut
and paste just that section into a new blank file, the section numbers
change. For example, if I highlight Section 5 (with 5.1, 5.1.1, 5.1.2, etc
in it) and then cut and paste it so I can create a new file to send to one
of my editors, the section number in the new file changes from 5.1 to 1.1.

I'd like to find a way to keep the original section numbers when I send the
document to another. I don't want to have to send the entire 100 page
document each time via e-mail, I'd rather just send the section that needs
editing help.

Is there another way to do this to accomplish my goal? All tips would be
greatly appreciated.

....Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

You could just ignore the problem: when you paste the edited material back
into your document, the headings will renumber appropriately.

Or if you want the number to look right for them, after pasting into a new
document, select the first number, display the bullets and numbering dialog,
and set the 'Start at' value. But remember to clear this setting when you
paste the matter back into your own document.

"Jason Saffer" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jason Saffer

Thanks very much for this great tip.

I'm also finding that my page numbering is gone. I have the pages numbered
like 5-1, 5-2, etc. with the "5" referring to the section number. Any idea
how I can also retain the page numbering, other than setting it up again
using the View Footer command?

Thanks very much!

.....Jason

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

Essentially the same answer. Or you could insert a pseudo cover page with 5
section breaks on it.