Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Josh W Josh W is offline

Default Trouble modifying a built-in style

I tried to modify Word 2003's Heading 1 built-in style to be exactly like my
own heading 1 style which I have created. I did this by applying the
fomatting of my own heading to the built-in heading (I selected part of the
document and clicked on the 'update to match selection' option at the drop
down of the built-in heading). But now since the built-in heading is based on
my heading, if I delete my heading I lose all the formatting in the built-in
heading. How can I delete my own heading and still keep all changes to the
built-in heading?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Apply the Heading 1 style then modify that style to be based on 'no style'
rather than your style and the applied characteristics of your style should
remain.

Josh W wrote:
I tried to modify Word 2003's Heading 1 built-in style to be exactly
like my own heading 1 style which I have created. I did this by
applying the fomatting of my own heading to the built-in heading (I
selected part of the document and clicked on the 'update to match
selection' option at the drop down of the built-in heading). But now
since the built-in heading is based on my heading, if I delete my
heading I lose all the formatting in the built-in heading. How can I
delete my own heading and still keep all changes to the built-in
heading?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Josh W Josh W is offline

I want to keep the characteristics (that I made) of the built-in style not of
my style. I tried to do what you advised but the built-in style does lose
some of the characteristics.

Josh W wrote:
I tried to modify Word 2003's Heading 1 built-in style to be exactly
like my own heading 1 style which I have created. I did this by
applying the fomatting of my own heading to the built-in heading (I
selected part of the document and clicked on the 'update to match
selection' option at the drop down of the built-in heading). But now
since the built-in heading is based on my heading, if I delete my
heading I lose all the formatting in the built-in heading. How can I
delete my own heading and still keep all changes to the built-in
heading?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PamC PamC is offline

This works for me in both 2003 and 2007. Update heading 1 to match your
style. Then modify heading 1 so that it is based on none or no style
(depending on the Word version).

Other characteristics of the new heading 1 should not change by changing the
based-on characteristic, and you will be able to delete or change your old
style without affecting heading 1.

PamC

Josh W wrote:
I tried to modify Word 2003's Heading 1 built-in style to be exactly
like my own heading 1 style which I have created. I did this by
applying the fomatting of my own heading to the built-in heading (I
selected part of the document and clicked on the 'update to match
selection' option at the drop down of the built-in heading). But now
since the built-in heading is based on my heading, if I delete my
heading I lose all the formatting in the built-in heading. How can I
delete my own heading and still keep all changes to the built-in
heading?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Josh W Josh W is offline

I tried exactly that several times but the heading 1 style only keeps the
characteristics as long as it is based on my style. The minute I try to
modify heading 1 to be based on no style it loses the character spaces before
and after.

Josh W wrote:
I tried to modify Word 2003's Heading 1 built-in style to be exactly
like my own heading 1 style which I have created. I did this by
applying the fomatting of my own heading to the built-in heading (I
selected part of the document and clicked on the 'update to match
selection' option at the drop down of the built-in heading). But now
since the built-in heading is based on my heading, if I delete my
heading I lose all the formatting in the built-in heading. How can I
delete my own heading and still keep all changes to the built-in
heading?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PamC[_2_] PamC[_2_] is offline

That is worrisome. But the only thing I can suggest is that you reset the
paragraph spacing to what you want.

PamC

Josh W wrote:
I tried exactly that several times but the heading 1 style only keeps the
characteristics as long as it is based on my style. The minute I try to
modify heading 1 to be based on no style it loses the character spaces before
and after.

This works for me in both 2003 and 2007. Update heading 1 to match your
style. Then modify heading 1 so that it is based on none or no style

[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]