KyleUK

Default Jumping cross references in Word - HELP!!!

Sometimes when I insert a cross reference into a Word document it will apear
ok. Then later when I 'update' field' the reference will jump to the head of
the next page creating an unwanted mid-paragraph page break. Please can
somone help me with this as it has me stumped.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S3lsZVVL?=,

Sometimes when I insert a cross reference into a Word document it will apear
ok. Then later when I 'update' field' the reference will jump to the head of
the next page creating an unwanted mid-paragraph page break.

Have you checked whether something in the text you're referencing might be
causing this?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

jasper

I often have this problem, and I think that it must be a bug in Word 2000.
When it happens, I 'cut' the paragraph, then 'paste special' as plain text.
Then I re-insert the references. It is a stupid solution, but it usually
works.

"KyleUK" wrote:

Sometimes when I insert a cross reference into a Word document it will apear
ok. Then later when I 'update' field' the reference will jump to the head of
the next page creating an unwanted mid-paragraph page break. Please can
somone help me with this as it has me stumped.

Margaret Aldis

The usual reason for this is that you have added some text immediately
before the heading, and started with your cursor at the start of the heading
line. This puts it inside Word's bookmark, so anything you insert falls
within the referenced target - stupid but true.

The only solution to this is to train yourself never to place your cursor at
the start of a potentially referenced line to add something above it -
always go to the end of the previous paragraph, press return, add your text,
and finally remove the extra return if you need to.

Incidentally the reverse problem occurs if you lengthen a heading - if you
place your cursor right at the end of the current heading any added text
falls outside the bookmark and won't appear in the cross reference.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP