bob green

Default Word freezes while editing tables

I have a document that consists of a series of Word tables. The file
is about 215 kb.

I had been working on this file on and off over several days. While
recently working on this file the hour-glass symbol came on and the
computer "froze". No error message, I just couldn't do anything. I
closed down Word and the computer, and the same thing happened when I
tried to work on this file (e.g copying, navigating through the file).
I can open other Word files without problem.

I installed a copy of the Staroffice program, and was able to open
this file and save all the tables to an older version of this file.
However, as soon as I added the last table the file in Word froze
again.

I have Office 97 and XP installed. I also ran a virus scan. No
problems were detected. Any advice regarding what this problem might
be and how it might be fixed would be appreciated,

regards

Bob Green
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Bob,

It sounds like something in the file structures is damaged. It could be
just this one table. It could be something else that adding this table
triggers. I guessing it could be this one table...

Create a new document. Copy and paste the text out of the current file
(an older version that doesn't contain the "bad" table), NOT including
the last paragraph mark.

Now try to create the new table (do NOT try to copy it). Can you insert
the new table? If you can, File/SaveAs, then start working with it,
keeping track of the actions. If Word fails again we'll then have a set
of steps to follow that may give us some clues.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org