Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big Dave Big Dave is offline

Default Where are 'building blocks' stored, please?

When I use Insert - Quick parts - Save Selection to Quick Part Gallery and
choose Normal.dotm (as the target in the properties of the operation) I can
then go and look in Normal.dotm (unzipping it, etc.) for the XML of the new
building block / quick part. Great.

If I choose Building Blocks.dotx as the 'target' of the operation, however,
the WordML is nowhere to be found anywhere. Certainly not in Building
Blocks.dotx anyway.

I even tried making a custom template and sending the 'autotext' building
block there. The XML did not appear in the custom template.

In both cases the XML is not in the Normal.dotm either.

The building block recorded is available to Word later, but where they are
stored is a mystery...

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!

--
Big Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Your Building Blocks should be saved - and the xml for them should, I think,
be in the document.xml file within the glossary folder (but don't quote me
on that).

It is possible that you are looking in the wrong BuildingBlocks.dotx file -
you should look in %appdata% (by default, Documents and
Settings\(userid)\Application Data on XP or Users\(userid)\AppData\Roaming\
on Vista) \Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\(locale id). I can't explain
why you can't see them in a custom template; they certainly should be there
if you have saved them.

There are some unusual circumstances where building blocks might not get
saved but then they would not be available later either. The fact that you
can see them later means they have definitely been saved - maybe you are
looking in the wrong file within the docx package.

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP

"Big Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Dave,

Office 2007 maintains multiple copies of 'Building Blocks.dotx' (so it can restore for damage), so be sure that by date/time stamp
the one you're opening is the updated one.

In the case of the quick part gallery in the \glossary folder there should be an entry that you added in the 'document.xml' file
that includes the actual entry and teh details you see in the Quick Parts property dialog for the entry.

MM"Big Dave" wrote in message ...
[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP