Porgy

Default Table seem to have a space around it

HI
I am doing a Word 2003 document which contains a lot of tables that contain
nested tables .
Each table (which have the nested tables inside) is separated by various
paragraphs.
Everything was fine until page 8 of my document then suddenly, everytime I
pasted in a new table containing nested tables, , the whole paragraph slipped
down to the next page, leaving a large space in the preceding page. The
table would either separate their rows, or the back space just would not work
to get the table back to the proper positon.
I have tried pasting and inserting my document as a new file, deleting some
of the preceding tables incase there was some kind of formatting error.. But
nothing has worked. I don't know what to do. Thanks for your help

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UG9yZ3k=?=,

I am doing a Word 2003 document which contains a lot of tables that contain
nested tables .
Each table (which have the nested tables inside) is separated by various
paragraphs.
Everything was fine until page 8 of my document then suddenly, everytime I
pasted in a new table containing nested tables, , the whole paragraph slipped
down to the next page, leaving a large space in the preceding page. The
table would either separate their rows, or the back space just would not work
to get the table back to the proper positon.
I have tried pasting and inserting my document as a new file, deleting some
of the preceding tables incase there was some kind of formatting error.. But
nothing has worked. I don't know what to do.

Have you set the option to not let rows break across pages? And do the
paragraphs around and in the tables have the formatting "Keep with next" and
"Keep lines together". That combination could account for what you describe.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Porgy

Yes I have tried all the options.
I set the option not to let rows break across pages
And I set the option to keep with next and keep lines together/
Then I set the reverse
Cleared not let rows break across pages
Cleared options to keep with next and keep lines together
Then I checked not to let rows break and cleared keep lines together and next
Then I cleared not to let rows break , and checked keeped lines together
and next.

I have also tried copying a table from a previous page which is okay on
that page, but on the page I am having problems with, it had the same
problems.

In addition, often I can't get the cursor out of the table.

Thanks for any help.
But nothing seems to work.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?UG9yZ3k=?=,

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UG9yZ3k=?=,

It sounds as if at least one table's internal structures have been damaged. With
such complexly designed tables (nested tables) this could be very difficult to
trouble-shoot without recreating the tables from scratch...

Try saving the file as XML, close, then re-open. Any change?

Yes I have tried all the options.
I set the option not to let rows break across pages
And I set the option to keep with next and keep lines together/
Then I set the reverse
Cleared not let rows break across pages
Cleared options to keep with next and keep lines together
Then I checked not to let rows break and cleared keep lines together and next
Then I cleared not to let rows break , and checked keeped lines together
and next.

I have also tried copying a table from a previous page which is okay on
that page, but on the page I am having problems with, it had the same
problems.

In addition, often I can't get the cursor out of the table.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Porgy

Hi
I couldn't save it as XML, Word only allows HTM. So I did, and the dialogue
box did inform me about some text wrapping, and moving text to the right
margin. The new htm pages are all out of alighnment. I did open original
file, but the invisible space between the last table and the next page still
exists. I tried searching for invisible frames,. I tried Soft Page breaks .
There must be something bizarre in the nested tables. Yet I have deleted
the last three and then re-created the three tables brand new again, and
still the problem occurs. SO I am going to start a part 2 in a new file,
and hope I can continue. If you have any other suggestions about doing
tables within tables, other than nesting, let me know. Thank you for your
help.