Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
frustrated frustrated is offline

Default Overstrike

How can I tpyeover existing text and not delete the original? I entered a box
as a choice and would like to add an x inside the box.
In my tabke, text entered displays vertically. How do I fill in the cell
without advancing the return?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. However, the Insert key
usually toggles Overstrike on and off. Depending on your version of Word,
you should also be able to toggle Overstrike by double-clicking OVR on the
status bar (Word 2003 and earlier) or single-clicking the Overtype (or
Insert) item on the status bar.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Frustrated" wrote in message
How can I tpyeover existing text and not delete the original? I entered a
box
as a choice and would like to add an x inside the box.
In my tabke, text entered displays vertically. How do I fill in the cell
without advancing the return?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think s/he's asking for Overstrike, not Overtype: i.e., the Eq
Field. I accidentlly discovered how to do it in 2003 when I ported
over a document created on MacWord which had some in it, opened the
field codes, and hunted for how to insert fields. But s/he didn't say
what version s/he's in, so I'm not going to give instructions ...

On Aug 17, 5:21 pm, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
I'm not sure I fully understand the question. However, the Insert key
usually toggles Overstrike on and off. Depending on your version of Word,
you should also be able to toggle Overstrike by double-clicking OVR on the
status bar (Word 2003 and earlier) or single-clicking the Overtype (or
Insert) item on the status bar.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog:http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web:http://www.herbtyson.com

"Frustrated" wrote in message

How can I tpyeover existing text and not delete the original? I entered a
box
as a choice and would like to add an x inside the box.
In my tabke, text entered displays vertically. How do I fill in the cell
without advancing the return?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You might see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...Characters.htm, but
if you just want a check box, there are better approaches, including a check
box form field or a toggle object such as described at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Add_Toggle_Objects.htm

"Frustrated" wrote in message
How can I tpyeover existing text and not delete the original? I entered a
box
as a choice and would like to add an x inside the box.
In my tabke, text entered displays vertically. How do I fill in the cell
without advancing the return?

Overstrike - X in a box degas1900 Microsoft Word Help 6 December 27th 07 10:34 PM
Overstrike Characters Patrick Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 15th 06 05:16 PM
Overstrike not working Suzanne S. Barnhill Page Layout 2 August 12th 05 04:16 AM
overstrike cursor carmstrng New Users 1 February 17th 05 06:22 PM
Overstrike characters Sue T. Microsoft Word Help 1 January 10th 05 09:46 PM