Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
tjsmags tjsmags is offline

Default Change HEADER titles on different pages

I created a merged directory booklet. I want to have a different header for
each new section of this booklet. Is this possible, or what else can I do so
that the new title prints on ALL the pages of its section?

For example, the first section of names (pages 1-3) relate to our family
named SMITH, so I want SMITH to be the header on pages 1-3. The second
section of names (pages 4-6) relate to one side of my family named CLANCY, so
I want CLANCY to be the header on pages 4-6. The third section of names
(7-9) relate to another side of my family named DOE, so I want DOE to print
on pages 7-9. The last section should be titled OTHER. How can I accomplish
this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elizabeth A. Bañuelos, MOS Master Elizabeth A. Bañuelos, MOS Master is offline

Hello tjsmags,

You can edit the header for each section by ensuring you have section breaks
at the end of each family's section, then going to the first page of the new
family's page, choosing the "view" drop-down menu, and "headers and footers"
and then ensuring each of these new sections' headers do not state "same as
previous" and typing the appropriate family's name into the header for each
different section. You will need to do that at the beginning of each new
section, but that should do it for you.

Hope this helps!

Please reply through the newsgroup (personal consulting can be arranged and
charged at my hourly rate).

Thanks!

"tjsmags" wrote:

I created a merged directory booklet. I want to have a different header for
each new section of this booklet. Is this possible, or what else can I do so
that the new title prints on ALL the pages of its section?

For example, the first section of names (pages 1-3) relate to our family
named SMITH, so I want SMITH to be the header on pages 1-3. The second
section of names (pages 4-6) relate to one side of my family named CLANCY, so
I want CLANCY to be the header on pages 4-6. The third section of names
(7-9) relate to another side of my family named DOE, so I want DOE to print
on pages 7-9. The last section should be titled OTHER. How can I accomplish
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Check out the use of the StyleRef field.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"tjsmags" wrote in message
I created a merged directory booklet. I want to have a different header
for
each new section of this booklet. Is this possible, or what else can I do
so
that the new title prints on ALL the pages of its section?

For example, the first section of names (pages 1-3) relate to our family
named SMITH, so I want SMITH to be the header on pages 1-3. The second
section of names (pages 4-6) relate to one side of my family named CLANCY,
so
I want CLANCY to be the header on pages 4-6. The third section of names
(7-9) relate to another side of my family named DOE, so I want DOE to
print
on pages 7-9. The last section should be titled OTHER. How can I
accomplish
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
tjsmags tjsmags is offline

I'm confused. I did do PAGE BREAKS at each new section, is that the same as
section breaks (what you said)? Also, when I go to page 7 (the new section),
I view HEADERS AND FOOTERS, but there's nothing that says 'same as previous.'
When I go under FORMAT PAGE NUMBER under headers and footers there's a
bullet by 'continue from previous section,' but this only pertains to the
page number.

Help!

"tjsmags" wrote:

I created a merged directory booklet. I want to have a different header for
each new section of this booklet. Is this possible, or what else can I do so
that the new title prints on ALL the pages of its section?

For example, the first section of names (pages 1-3) relate to our family
named SMITH, so I want SMITH to be the header on pages 1-3. The second
section of names (pages 4-6) relate to one side of my family named CLANCY, so
I want CLANCY to be the header on pages 4-6. The third section of names
(7-9) relate to another side of my family named DOE, so I want DOE to print
on pages 7-9. The last section should be titled OTHER. How can I accomplish
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elizabeth A. Bañuelos, MOS Master Elizabeth A. Bañuelos, MOS Master is offline

Hi tjsmags,

Once you have completed the merge and have your completed document on your
screen, click "view", "header and footer" and create what you want your Smith
header to look like. Enter the name, the page number, etc., and make it
exactly as you want the headers to read. Once you have done this step we
will change the names next.

Now place your cursor at the end of each group of surnames and click on
"insert", then "break" then under "section break types" you will click on
the Clancy listings, and the end of the Doe listings. Do not create one at
the end of the "Other" listings.

Once you have done this step, you will need to go to the first page of each
section, ie: the page on which the first entry of the new surname (Clancy,
Doe or Other) is located. Place your cursor on that page (click your mouse).
Then click "view", "header and footer", and the toolbar will pop up on your
screen. If you count left from the "close" button, the fourth button to the
left will say "same as previous", you will need to click on that button.
Then, change the name Smith to Clancy and click close. Repeat this section
for Doe and Other.

Hope this helps.