Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ray Cox

Default How to stop document position from jumping when creating index entry

Can anyone tell me how to stop the following:

Whenever I use the "Mark Index Entry" feature (MS Word 2003 for Windows) to
mark an index entry, after clicking the Mark button, Word automatically
switches to the "hidden text view" mode. When I click the button to switch
back to normal view, the document page position is moved to the extent that
the text I was marking isn't even visible on the screen any more. So for
every entry I make, I need to make the following (needless) extra steps to
continue making entries: Click button to go back to normal mode; scroll
back up to bring the text where I was editing back onscreen.

Thanks for any help.

Ray

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ray Cox

Actually I already found a way to stop the off-screen jumps. I usually edit
in Print Layout view because I like to see exactly what I am going to get
while I am editing. However, if I switch to Normal (view) mode, Word will
move the cursor point (and the text position where I was editing) back to a
standard position so the cursor is about 5-6 lines below the toolbar when I
hide the hidden text again.

Now if I could just figure out how to make a macro work while I am editing
the Main (index) entry in the Mark Index Entry window. I am indexing a 230
page book with hundreds of names in it. Of course, the names have to be
entered last-name-first so the index will be alphabetical, and they are
printed in normal order in the text, so every name has to be highlighted,
moved to the Mark Index Entry window, then edited into last-name-first
format. I could easily write a macro to do this, but it won't work on the
text in this window!

Ray

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I agree this is annoying. Have you considered just leaving Hidden text
displayed as long as you're marking index entries?

so
all may benefit.

"Ray Cox" wrote in message
nk.net...
Can anyone tell me how to stop the following:

Whenever I use the "Mark Index Entry" feature (MS Word 2003 for Windows)

mark an index entry, after clicking the Mark button, Word automatically
switches to the "hidden text view" mode. When I click the button to

switch
back to normal view, the document page position is moved to the extent

that
the text I was marking isn't even visible on the screen any more. So for
every entry I make, I need to make the following (needless) extra steps
continue making entries: Click button to go back to normal mode; scroll
back up to bring the text where I was editing back onscreen.

Thanks for any help.

Ray

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

One thing that helps a little if you have a lot of the same name to index is
this:

1. Create the first index entry as usual, using the Mark Index Entry dialog.

2. Select the XE field thus created and Copy it.

3. Use Find to search for additional instances of the name in question (in
FirstName LastName order) and Paste the XE field in each location.

"Ray Cox" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

newsgroup
so