Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
D. Liske D. Liske is offline

Default X of Y Numbering...not a bug question.

I have a document that I am working on that will have two cover pages from a
completely different application. I am trying to place page numbering fields
( x of y) in a header, and I am starting with page 3 in the X field on the
true first page of the Word document. I'm having a problem formatting the Y
field (NUMPAGES) to accurately reflect the page counts on for the entire
finished product. For instance, if I have three typed pages in my Word doc,
I would have to have the x of y numbering be 3 of 5, and 4 of 5, and 5 of 5,
respectively, as I have to account for the two cover pages. This is for a
report narrative template that I am working on, and (total) page numbers will
vary in the future.

Unfortunately, I work in an office where multiple versions of Word are in
use, from 97 on up. I've searched here and looked at the MVP article on page
numbering. If it was there, I missed it. Any help or advice would be
appreciated. Regards.

David Liske
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod macropod is offline

Hi David,

To get your Page 'X of Y' numbering to start at 1 for the 'X' portion, it's
best to insert a 'next page' Section break before that page. Then you need to:
.. select the 'X' portion of the Page 'X of Y' numbering
.. use |Insert|Page Numbers|Format, then click 'Start at' and input '1', then
click 'OK', 'OK'.

If you then want the 'Y' portion of the numbering to count only the numbered
pages, then you need to either:
.. use a {SECTIONPAGES} field instead of the {NUMPAGES} field. This will only
work if your document has only two Sections; or
.. use a formula field to deduct the number of unnumbered pages from the
overall page count. This could be coded as {={NUMPAGES}-2}, where '2' is the
number of unnumbered pages. To create such a field, press Ctrl-F9 twice to
create a pair of nested fields, which will be designated by two pairs of field
braces (i.e '{ { } }'), then type in the coding indicated so that you end up
with {={NUMPAGES}-2}. Then press F9 to update.
Fancier coding can be used to deal with an unnumbered section in which the
number of pages tends to vary. Post back if this is an issue for you.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"D. Liske" wrote in message
| I have a document that I am working on that will have two cover pages from a
| completely different application. I am trying to place page numbering
fields
| ( x of y) in a header, and I am starting with page 3 in the X field on the
| true first page of the Word document. I'm having a problem formatting the Y
| field (NUMPAGES) to accurately reflect the page counts on for the entire
| finished product. For instance, if I have three typed pages in my Word doc,
| I would have to have the x of y numbering be 3 of 5, and 4 of 5, and 5 of 5,
| respectively, as I have to account for the two cover pages. This is for a
| report narrative template that I am working on, and (total) page numbers
will
| vary in the future.
|
| Unfortunately, I work in an office where multiple versions of Word are in
| use, from 97 on up. I've searched here and looked at the MVP article on
page
| numbering. If it was there, I missed it. Any help or advice would be
| appreciated. Regards.
|
| David Liske

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you are using the NumPages field for the Y (which is the default), you
should be getting the total number of pages. As "macropod" says, you'll need
to insert a section break between pages 2 and 3. The page numbering will by
default be set to "Continue from previous section," so you'll get 3 on page
3 without any problem. To omit page numbers on pages 1 and 2, click on the
"Same as Previous" or "Link to Previous" button on the Header and Footer
toolbar to unlink the header in Section 2 from the header in Section 1
before inserting the page number in Section 2, leaving the Section 1 header
empty.

"D. Liske" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
D. Liske D. Liske is offline

Hi macropod,

I'm thinking that based upon your answer, I didn't write my problem clearly
enough. But, then again, maybe you answered it, and I just don't understand
it. So bear with me, as I try to clarify.

Basically what I do is take two cover pages from another application that
are already numbered Pages 1 and 2. The two pages are a constant. Then
those pages are "married" to my report narrative (my Word doc), and the whole
package is stapled together. Since the first two pages are numbered, my
issue is how to do the X of Y numbering on my word document to accurately
reflect the pages in the report. I don't need the X to start at page 1, as
it will always be page 3. That has not been the tough part. It is the Y
that has caused the problem, as I have to account for the first two, non-Word
pages in the total. And, since the narrative is a variable, there won't
always be the same number of pages in that section.

Therefore, referring back to my example, if my Word narrative is three
pages, then the desired X of Y would be 3 of 5, 4 of 5, 5 of 5. Remember, I
am adding pages 1 and 2 to the package and stapling them together which
brings me to the 5 total pages (Y).

Of course, the easy solutions a

-Don't use X of Y numbering
-Use plain old X of Y, start my narrative on page 3 of the document, print
from page 3 to the last page, or print the entire document and just discard
pages 1 and 2.

I don't know if I've made things more clear or more confusing. But, I
appreciate your time and your response. Regards.

David Liske

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
D. Liske D. Liske is offline

Suzanne,

Thanks for your answer. I was working on a reply to macropod and did not
see yours. I may not have been entirely clear on my problem, so I tried to
clarify in my reply to macropod. Please take a look, if you get a chance.
Regards.

David Liske

"D. Liske" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod macropod is offline

Hi David,

If the only time the two parts of your document are together is at the time of
stapling (i.e. you don't merge them into the one file), the formula field
coding for the 'Y' is:
{={NUMPAGES}+2}

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"D. Liske" wrote in message
> [...]
| pages, then you need to either:
| .. use a {SECTIONPAGES} field instead of the {NUMPAGES} field. This will
only
| work if your document has only two Sections; or
| .. use a formula field to deduct the number of unnumbered pages from the
| overall page count. This could be coded as {={NUMPAGES}-2}, where '2' is
the
| number of unnumbered pages. To create such a field, press Ctrl-F9 twice to
| create a pair of nested fields, which will be designated by two pairs of
field
| braces (i.e '{ { } }'), then type in the coding indicated so that you end
up
| with {={NUMPAGES}-2}. Then press F9 to update.
| Fancier coding can be used to deal with an unnumbered section in which the
| number of pages tends to vary. Post back if this is an issue for you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Ah, I missed the part about the first two pages not being part of the actual
document. In this case, you need "Page { PAGE } of { = { NUMPAGES } + 2 }."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are using the NumPages field for the Y (which is the default),

you
should be getting the total number of pages. As "macropod" says, you'll

need
to insert a section break between pages 2 and 3. The page numbering will

by
default be set to "Continue from previous section," so you'll get 3 on

page
3 without any problem. To omit page numbers on pages 1 and 2, click on

the
"Same as Previous" or "Link to Previous" button on the Header and Footer
toolbar to unlink the header in Section 2 from the header in Section 1
before inserting the page number in Section 2, leaving the Section 1

header
empty.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"D. Liske" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
D. Liske D. Liske is offline

Hi macropod,

That is exactly what I needed. Funny thing is, I actually tried that
earlier today and kept on getting a syntax error when I pressed alt+F9. I
even had it happen when I saw your answer and tried it again. I'm not sure I
had spaces when I shouldn't have, or visa versa. In any event, it's working
now. Thanks to you and Suzanne for the tips. Regards.

David Liske