Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dilbert firestorm dilbert firestorm is offline

Default last numbers of the record

is there anyway to include the last # of a record on a label?

I'm trying to get the label to show as 1/10, 2/10,, etc. from a table.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Opus is my Hero!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There is no way to do it using fields. Probably the easiest thing to do is
just enter the number of records as a number. If the data source was Excel,
you could add another column in each cell of which you inserted the Count()
function.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in message
is there anyway to include the last # of a record on a label?

I'm trying to get the label to show as 1/10, 2/10,, etc. from a table.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Opus is my Hero!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What type of datasource is your table? which version of Word?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

dilbert firestorm wrote:
is there anyway to include the last # of a record on a label?

I'm trying to get the label to show as 1/10, 2/10,, etc. from a table.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

dilbert firestorm wrote:
is there anyway to include the last # of a record on a label?

I'm trying to get the label to show as 1/10, 2/10,, etc. from a table.

Its Excel I think. I don't have access to the work computer, but it is
part of the Microsoft Office package.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Opus is my Hero!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

dilbert firestorm wrote:
is there anyway to include the last # of a record on a label?

I'm trying to get the label to show as 1/10, 2/10,, etc. from a table.

my mistake. I'm doing this off of a word processor. Its microsoft
word, not excel. I don't remember what version of word it was. the
data source is mostly dates & numbers.

there is a mail merge switch that sort of lets you append a text to the
mailmerge field, but the thing is I'd have to cut & past for each table
cell if I remember to do this. If I don't, the labels are wasted.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Opus is my Hero!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you know the number of records, you have type it (and any other text that
you require onto the first label of the sheet, and then use the "Update
labels" facility to propagate the set up of that label to the other labels
on the sheet.

--

dilbert firestorm wrote:
is there anyway to include the last # of a record on a label?

I'm trying to get the label to show as 1/10, 2/10,, etc. from a table.

my mistake. I'm doing this off of a word processor. Its microsoft word,
not excel. I don't remember what version of word it was. the data source
is mostly dates & numbers.

there is a mail merge switch that sort of lets you append a text to the
mailmerge field, but the thing is I'd have to cut & past for each table
cell if I remember to do this. If I don't, the labels are wasted.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Opus is my Hero!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If the data source is Word, there's no particularly easy/automatic way
to get the record count - you may be able to find it in Edit Recipients
fairly easily and insert it in the Mail Merge Main document, but that's
about it. (For other types of data source you can consider inserting a
DATABASE field, outside the table of labels, that does a SQL SELECT
count(*) FROM thedatasourcetablname, but even that will not help if you
are doing selections in Edit Recipients).

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

dilbert firestorm wrote:
is there anyway to include the last # of a record on a label?
I'm trying to get the label to show as 1/10, 2/10,, etc. from a

table.

my mistake. I'm doing this off of a word processor. Its microsoft
word, not excel. I don't remember what version of word it was. the
data source is mostly dates & numbers.

there is a mail merge switch that sort of lets you append a text to the
mailmerge field, but the thing is I'd have to cut & past for each table
cell if I remember to do this. If I don't, the labels are wasted.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dilbert firestorm dilbert firestorm is offline

I don't have access to word as I'm on vacation, but will this idea work?

make another column and use that column for the number since I know the
exact # from the inventory. the entire column would be filled with "13"
as last number. This prolly would work.

Is there a better way to do this?

dilbert firestorm wrote:
is there anyway to include the last # of a record on a label?
I'm trying to get the label to show as 1/10, 2/10,, etc. from a
table.

my mistake. I'm doing this off of a word processor. Its microsoft
word, not excel. I don't remember what version of word it was. the
data source is mostly dates & numbers.

there is a mail merge switch that sort of lets you append a text to the
mailmerge field, but the thing is I'd have to cut & past for each table
cell if I remember to do this. If I don't, the labels are wasted.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Opus is my Hero!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Is this any easier than manually inputting the number and re-propagating the
labels? The problem with editing the data source in this way is that it only
works if you merge the full data source. It completely falls apart if you
only merge part of the data.

One possibility is to store the variable number in a docvariable and use a
docvariable field to display the total record count.e.g.

{ MERGEREC }{ DOCVARIABLE varLabelCount }

Use the following macro to update the docvariable before running the merge
to produce

1/229

Dim oVars As Variables
Dim sAsk As String
Dim i As Long
Set oVars = ActiveDocument.Variables
sAsk = InputBox("Total number of labels for this merge", "Labels")
oVars("varLabelCount").Value = _
"/" & sAsk
For i = ActiveDocument.Fields.Count To 1 Step -1
With ActiveDocument.Fields(i)
If .Type = wdFieldDocVariable Then .Update
End With
Next i