automatic section numbering

Default how do I work the section numbering feature? how do I restart nu.

is there a window to control automatic section numbering?

I want a tab, the next number, a period, and then another tab.

I would be satisfied with just the number and period, with no hard indents.

How do I get it to restart numbering with a number I select?

How do I get it to restart a new list with 1.?
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YXV0b21hdGljIHNlY3Rpb24gbnVtYmVyaW5n?=,

is there a window to control automatic section numbering?

In Word, only *page* numbering can be section-specific. So the answer to this
is "no".

I want a tab, the next number, a period, and then another tab.

You can set this up in the "Customize" dialog box for an Outline numbering
scheme.
- click the "More" button
- select the Level you want to change
- Set the Number Position and Alignment (instead of your first "Tab")
- Make sure there's a period after the number in the "Number Format" box
- Set the indent for the Text position (and leave the "Tab space after"
at zero)

I would be satisfied with just the number and period, with no hard indents.

How do I get it to restart numbering with a number I select?

Set the "Start at" attribute in the same dialog box

How do I get it to restart a new list with 1.?

I'm not 100% sure what you want here; the version of Word also makes a
difference. In general terms, you should be able to right-click the first
entry in a list and choose "Restart numbering".

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org