Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
durnurd durnurd is offline

Default How do I restart Section numbering?

I have several sections before the appendix in my document, and I want to use
the section numbering to automatically label my appendices with letters.
When I try to insert the current section number as alphabetic, however, it
starts with appendix H. Is there a way to restart section numbering?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Durnurd

durnurd wrote:
I have several sections before the appendix in my document, and I want to use
the section numbering to automatically label my appendices with letters.
When I try to insert the current section number as alphabetic, however, it
starts with appendix H. Is there a way to restart section numbering?

I'm not _entirely_ sure what "section numbering" you are talking about.
But see the following article on MVP Shauna Kelly's approach to appendix
numbering:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I suspect that Durnurd has used a field {Section \* ALPHABETIC} that
displays the section number as a letter. The appendix is really
section 8, so the field displays the letter H.

To answer the original question, no, it's impossible to restart
section numbering. Only page numbering within each section can be
restarted that way. Follow Shauna's instructions for using an
otherwise unused heading level to number your appendices.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:31:14 +0100, "Robert M. Franz (RMF)"
wrote:

Hi Durnurd

durnurd wrote:
I have several sections before the appendix in my document, and I want to use
the section numbering to automatically label my appendices with letters.
When I try to insert the current section number as alphabetic, however, it
starts with appendix H. Is there a way to restart section numbering?

I'm not _entirely_ sure what "section numbering" you are talking about.
But see the following article on MVP Shauna Kelly's approach to appendix
numbering:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html

HTH
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Jay Freedman wrote:
I suspect that Durnurd has used a field {Section \* ALPHABETIC} that
displays the section number as a letter. The appendix is really
section 8, so the field displays the letter H.

Ahh, _that_ field.

Since the OP is used to field-numbering, I'd then either calculate a new
field or use a simple SEQ field to get to the desired result.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amanda Amanda is offline

"durnurd" wrote:

I have several sections before the appendix in my document, and I want to use
the section numbering to automatically label my appendices with letters.
When I try to insert the current section number as alphabetic, however, it
starts with appendix H. Is there a way to restart section numbering?

After inserting a section break, go to the Insert tab, and go to page
numbering. Select format page number. It will allow you to EITHER continue
numbering from the previous section OR start at 1. Same with formatting. It
will allow you to format the section differently than that of the previous
section.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But if the appendixes are starting with H, then this indicates that the
formatting has been applied to a heading that was previously numbered, and
the A, B , C numbering will apply to all sections. Unless the A, B, C is
actually being used for the page number (as opposed to the "chapter number"
included in the page number), see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html

And if the SECTION field is being used for numbering, there are additional
problems. Although it can be forced to display the correct number (letter),
it will not be included in a TOC.