Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A_S_42 A_S_42 is offline

Default Table of Contents Help - new user

Hi-
I have never used Word's TOC feature before. Mine is a simple one with
Heading 1 applied to all the things I want in there - when I go to insert the
TOC, I get what to me looks like gobbledygook (code?) and not the actual
text. Yet if I try to copy and paste it into this message to show you, it
copies the correct text (my screen shows {TOC\O "1-3"\H\Z\U} )
What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance. I was reading all over these
forums and haven't figured it out yet!

Also - if I wanted to have two different pieces of text per page on the SAME
line in the TOC, can that be done?
For example, if my POLICY NAME and POLICY NUMBER are in different places on
the page, but on my TOC, I want it to show:
XYZ POLICY #1234.............1

Is that possible?

THANKS MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

To answer the first question, you have field codes displayed. Press Alt+F9,
which is the shortcut for going to the Options dialog and
checking/unchecking the "Show field codes" option.

For the second one, there's no simple way to do it. You'd have to put the
complete item somewhere on the page and assign it the proper heading style;
set the font color to white if you didn't want it to show there. Apply
another style to the "real" text so it appears the same as Heading 1 but
isn't actually in Heading 1, so the TOC won't pick it up.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

A_S_42 wrote:
Hi-
I have never used Word's TOC feature before. Mine is a simple one with
Heading 1 applied to all the things I want in there - when I go to
insert the TOC, I get what to me looks like gobbledygook (code?) and
not the actual text. Yet if I try to copy and paste it into this
message to show you, it copies the correct text (my screen shows
{TOC\O "1-3"\H\Z\U} )
What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance. I was reading all over these
forums and haven't figured it out yet!

Also - if I wanted to have two different pieces of text per page on
the SAME line in the TOC, can that be done?
For example, if my POLICY NAME and POLICY NUMBER are in different
places on the page, but on my TOC, I want it to show:
XYZ POLICY #1234.............1

Is that possible?

THANKS MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You are viewing Fieldcodes and not results (the TOC is a field). You can
toggle it off using Shift+F9 or go into Word Options and clear the check box
to view fieldcodes.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"A_S_42" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

True, but you'd still have to combine the two items manually into one TC field,
as a substitute for fiddling with heading styles and white font color.